Acer Notebook Died ?

The charger has an LED green lamp which lights up when in use, so I doubt it's the charger. A replacement battery is about $75 to buy so I am hesitant as a new one evidently will not solve the problem. Most outlets will not refund the money if the charger is not defective. I will try a different charger as a last resort. The laptop does not work with the battery removed either and just the charger connected. Probably something got fried as you guys say!

Just because the LED lights up doesn't mean it works.
But yeah, it could easily be a fried motherboard. Could also be something else is fried but with the symptoms you describe it's most likely the motherboard. could also be the CPU. But if something is fried, my money is on the Motherboard.

Lol, sorry, I could have been clearer. I didn't mean you should go buy one, just that the electronics stores might have one you could try to rule it out.

I've taken a dead laptop into the frys near my house just to make sure it was the charger that was bad before I bought a new one. The guys at frys are generally pretty helpful and will usually do whatever they can to help.

I don't know what frys are? You mean a local computer outlet? Most stores will not allow refund for a new charger after opening the box. My local outlet charges a 20% re-stocking fee. One day, I'll just bring it to a PC repair store. Pretty sure it needs expensive repairs. Will I lose all stored info if HDs are replaced?

Don't you have any warranty on the computer?

Will I lose all stored info if HDs are replaced?

Do you mean HDD's?
Sure. But they will properly tell you to backup the date before they do that.
They might even clone the drive. But i wound't put my trust in it.
I know if you send back a laptop to say DELL, and they decide to change the HDD or format it. They just do it. They don't care about your data.
In general, always backup your important files.

Yes, frys is our regional electronics superstore, but you could probably go to MicroCenter or best buy.

And again, I'm not saying you should buy a new one then return it. Im saying most electronics stores have floor models.

I'm not positive about the others, but I know FOR SURE frys electronics has universal chargers (at least one per store) that can be used to find out if it's a problem with the power supply. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY!!!! Try calling your local electronics store to find out if they do anything similar, if they don't, try some mom and pop computer repair shops.

Again, you should be able this WITHOUT buying a power supply then returning it. Just walk over to the geek squad area or w/e and say something like "my computer won't turn on, I think it's the psu, but I need to be sure before I buy a new one."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom