Router Questions

Craig Prince

In Runtime
Could you guess? I'm asking a question about routers. :whistling:

In case any of you forgot, my internet is really, really terrible. Less then 1Mbs download, and don't even ask the upload. It also commonly goes down and it gets half as slow in the PM hours. However it's the best in my location, so no switching to a different ISP.

Currently I'm using the default Router/Modem combination they provided. I was wondering, if I went out and purchased a high quality router, would it increase my internet speed and make it more reliable?

Thanks for anyone that helps me with this. :)

don't know about reliability, but speed using an ethernet cable is not gonna make a difference. Only wifi might be improved

i can't answer that. Depends on the performance on your existing router.
How close are you to the router?
and are you using a stationary pc?

maybe having an access point instead will be better.
or you could get a Powerline adapter.
You know. having the internet go to your room via the power outlet

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

these options should increase the speed

I was unaware that there was such a thing as a Powerline adapter. I'm such a noob when it comes to networking. Let me do some research on that.

depends on how meany PC's is set to the powerline.
Also the faster it is the faster you can view, send or receive files from other PC's in the network or a network drive.
But i guess it's all about the budget right. If it's only you that is gonna use it you don't need more than 200.
But if the 400 isn't much more expensive, you might consider that instead

We have let's think here, 6 devices using the internet in our home. However I would be the only one using the adapter. Money shouldn't be an issue, the only thing I spend money on is PC parts. So, I should just get the 400mbps one.

Amazon.com: TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, up to 500Mbps: Computers & Accessories

:)

This one is actually 500mbps. I also think it's very well priced.

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 AM ----------

YES! It worked! Click the smiley.

Back
Top Bottom