Painting PC Parts

Craig Prince

In Runtime
I was wondering how easy is it to paint certain PC parts, and if you do, will it void the warranty?

The stuff I would want to paint are the Heat Sinks on the Asus Z97 Pro, and the Heat Spreaders on Corsair Vengeance Pro RAM.

Okay, I was pretty sure it voided the warranty. I would like to know as well if the motherboard Heat Sinks are safe to paint. I've done some research, and some people said they won't dissipate heat as well if you do. Is that true or are people just scared?

Okay, I was pretty sure it voided the warranty. I would like to know as well if the motherboard Heat Sinks are safe to paint. I've done some research, and some people said they won't dissipate heat as well if you do. Is that true or are people just scared?

Be careful painting electrical components as some paints can conduct electricity, hate to see you destroy your PC.
If you going to paint over alloys or plastic most likely you will need etch primer 1st or your paint will most likely flake off or mark easy.

I have painted beige coloured computers & they have come up real cool looking PC's especially when you do some mix of colours.

Good luck with your project.

Yeah, not going to do this yet. Just wondering, because in like a month or so I will be building my first PC. Then I was wondering down the road if I should paint my PC parts. My plan is to go with a white and black build. Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help everyone! Much appreciated.

Painting a heat sink is not a good thing to do. Coating a heat sink with paint will act like a blanket and not allow the HS to dump the heat. In other words, you'd be better off getting the fins electroplated. Everything except the GPU/CPU contact point.

Painting a heat sink is not a good thing to do. Coating a heat sink with paint will act like a blanket and not allow the HS to dump the heat. In other words, you'd be better off getting the fins electroplated. Everything except the GPU/CPU contact point.

Depends on what type, how much paint is applied & method of application, if done correctly it will have no affect on performance.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom