Finding or generating wordlists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legodude522

Daemon Poster
I recently moved to a new neighborhood that is more densely populated. I also have a new router and WPA2 encryption setup. I just want to see how long it would take for me to crack my current password using a wordlist attack. Since I'm lazy, I'm using my 10 digit phone number as my wifi password. I'm probably going to change it soon anyway but I would still like to know how vulnerable it is in its current state.

Now I can easily torrent a few wordlists. But I'm wondering if there is a place I can just find a 10 digit or 10 character wordlist? Secondly, what is the best way to generate my own wordlist to my own parameters?

You can download Kali Linux and use a program called Crunch to generate customized wordlists. It's not really hacking and is completely legitimate, as long as your testing on your own equipment or have permissions from others to do so.

This is an old thread (from September), though you should know that WPA2 is fairly safe. Assuming you're a normal citizen, there is a very low chance that someone would commit the time necessary to try to crack your WIFI. Nonetheless, I'd advise against using a phone number, as it *can* be cracked in time.

Unlike WEP, you can't just grab a bunch of packets and decipher the password over time. With a WPA(2) lock on a router, the most common attempt is brute force. In the case of using a 10 digit phone number, with no restrictions implied, you have about 10 billion possible combinations. Long story short, it's going to take some time to get through that list, and some routers will detect the brute force attempt and block your MAC automatically.

Furthermore, a hacker would not know if a pattern has been used in the phone number. For example, the same phone number could appear like so...
(555) 555-5555
(555)555-5555
555-555-5555 ... and so on.

That being said, just stay away from using a phone number as a password. If I knew enough (the pattern, the area code, and the regional prefix), I'd only have to crack the last 4 digits. That's an ideal situation, which is rarely the case.. but don't want to make it easier for the hackers out there. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom