Setting up new SSD

Tupp

Beta member
So like I said in my intro post im upgrading to an SSD. My issue is what method I should use to set it up. Here are my options I could think of but if anyone has better ideas I would LOVE IT!!

1 - Clone the current hard drive exactly to the new one, including a second "Recovery" partition. - Worried that if there is anyting wrong with my drive or corrupted files they go with on to the new drive and that defeats everything Im trying to do.

2 - Load drive in to machine - Load Backup Image, use the factory partition to restore a clean install of Win7 then the backup file should restore all of my programs that I have installed over the years and dont have disks for every one or the licenses any more.

3 - Clean install and reinstall all programs - Possibly lose program licensing/activation.

What do you guys think?
Thanks
Tupp

I have to agree w/BK. Cloning your HHD onto the new SSD makes the most logical sense.

I would not clone the HDD to the SSD, it is better to do a clean install of the system, I understand that you have the recovery partition but long term it may be better to do a clean installation. Reasoning behind this, the current drive may pull over mismatched sectors / errors on the current drive.

You can sure accomplish what you are trying to do, but just my two cents. Do a clean installation.

Pull all your licenses with a key finder or something.

I'm agreeing with iPwn and Verbatim here. First, you're always running faster with a new install and it gives you the opportunity to not cloud your computer up with stuff you haven't used in months.

Second, if you're installing windows 8, it will detect the SSD and disable things like hibernate and and paging to the SSD which uses up write cycles needlessly. Maybe I've gotten luck here as I can't prove this via links, but I never had to disable these myself on SSD installed windows 8 where I always did on windows 7

Third, Think of it like a giant defragment of your drive. if you clone it, it's going over as-is fragmented and all. While not so much of an issue with SSDs it still has to read around to find the data. On a clean install at least initially everything will be much less (if not at all) fragmented.

{Edit}

Found a link talking about windows auto-tuning for SSDs:
http://www.tweakhound.com/2013/11/02/windows-8-1-ssd-settings-etc/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom