My Current build

Vinaell

Baseband Member
So this year i decided to build my first computer and i wanted to make sure i got really good parts but at a great price so ive been patient picking up parts anywhere i can find a great deal and this is what i've gotten so far

CM Storm Trooper Case $150 (I wanted a big case for room to upgrade anything)

CM 800w Silent Pro Gold psu $100

Maximus VI Hero $150

Corsair H100i $70

Pentium G3258 $60

MSI R9 280x $170

Kingston Digital 120gb SSD $60

Seagate Barracude 1TB HDD $50

Only thing i havent bought yet is memory I went with the pentium because the overclocking abilities with the amazing price I just dont have the 200+ for i5 or i7 yet...

I just want to get everyones opinion this is my very first build.

That's not at all a bad build. I would have gone with a Maximus VII Hero. It's a decent amount better due to Z97. Later I would definitely upgrade the CPU to a Core I5.

Overall a great build. I hope you like it. :D See you later, and goodnight for me.

Ya i started gathering my components i think end of last year lol so a couple of my pieces are alittle behind

Yes i plan on using it for gaming and nothing major mostly WoW i plan on eventually getting an i5 so i figured the g3258 would be a perfect first cpu to learn overclocking.

Hahaha. A H100 coolor on a Pentium all on a Maximus 6 Hero.
Plz don't. I'ts like like building a Ferrari and putting a Toyota motor in it and installing a turbo... it's not worth it.

If i were you i'll chose a I5. It's a good match for the rest of the somewhat high end components.
You can save money by downgrading the cooler to a H60. Still an amazing cooler and you save 40 bucks and it's less bulky. (the H100 has a BIG radiator and 2 fans. To big and clunky for my taste. I wound't even put it in my system if i got it for FREE).
I have the H60 2013 Edition. It's good enough for my overclocked I7-4770K.

You can also save a little on the GPU, if it's nothing major you are gonna play then why not step down the GPU to the non X version. You will save ruffly 70 bucks.
So you save totally 110 bucks. that's enough to upgrade that pathetic Pentium to an I5.

well the cooler i already have bought it at the beginning of the year and Ofcourse i plan on buying an i5 but will be a few months before i do. but I'm just playing WoW at the moment and from what i read the G3258 OC'd is a beast keeping up with the i7 in quite a few benchmarks.

it can not keep up with an I7 at all in CPU depended tasks.
The I5 and I7 is burying the Pentium in dirt in rendering and anything CPU depended.
Let's say we both are decompressing the same file. i'll properly be able to decompress the file 3 times before you have completed the decompression.
You are thinking about gaming benchmarks.
In games what is important from the CPU's side is not to bottleneck the GPU.
This Pentium model is currently the most powerful of them all, so it's not gonna be a huge problem for your chosen GPU when overclocked.

.... but to me it just sound dumb to buy something to replace it soon after.

btw:
it really sounds to me like you are overrating the power of overclocking.
Don't expect twice the performance. Expect 20-40% (not counting FPS. It is purely up to the games CPU dependency and how much the CPU is bothering the GPU at stuck speeds).

Last edited:
Plz don't. I'ts like like building a Ferrari and putting a Toyota motor in it and installing a turbo... it's not worth it.

A toyota motor with a turbo wouldn't be too bad lol. I have a corolla S and it has a very high RPM motor with a great amount of pickup, especially in the middle gears. Just wanted to comment on this aspect of your argument. :hide:

Back
Top Bottom