SSD drives

Hey bluenose you're going to need a 2.5 to 3.5 mounting adaptor to install that in the case. In the link for the right model SSD look about mid way down the page. They advertise one for 1.98 pounds.

Thanks setishock, I have already purchased an SSD Upgrade Kit and so will be ready to install when the correct SSD turns up. Thanks again.

Hello again you helpful people. Well I now have the correct bits by way of the SSD adaptor/carrier and the correct size SSD.

I have decided to do a clean install of the O/S onto the SSD followed by my programmes. I am not certain that it will work because, as I mentioned in an earlier post, the copy of Windows 8.0 that I have, may rely on Windows 7 being on the drive in the first place. If it need this I will just have to load 7 on first, followed by 8 and then the download to 8.1.
One question that I have is, when I set about doing this SSD installation, will the new drive (SSD) automatically become my 'C' drive or, do I have to do something myself to reallocate the drive letters.
Presumably when this is done, I can then format the old 'C' drive and use it to store all of my data/folders/files etc. All of this data is currently on an external drive and I would like to get it onto the old 'C' drive in the form that it is now, i.e. with all of the directories/subdirectories/folders and files all visible and then when that is done, to back it all up as a 'backup file' to the external drive. Is this possible please and if so how do I go about doing it. Thank you.

You should be able to do a clean install using your Win 8 upgrade disk. See here: http://winsupersite.com/article/windows8/clean-install-windows-8-upgrade-media-144648

hello again strollin, I appreciate what you are saying and thank you too for the link but, I will be trying to do a 'clean install' on a drive that has never had any version of Windows on it and I think that this may cause a hiccup, especially as one of the instructions when installing the SSD is to disconnect the original O/S drive which to me, will remove any link that the upgrade disk will have with it.

Yup, knew exactly what you meant, that's exactly what the article is about, hence the article title of "Clean Install Windows 8 with Upgrade Media".

I think that I may have encountered a problem. No doubt someone will let me know if it is able to be overcome.
As mentioned earlier in this thread, I would prefer to do a 'clean install' of Windows 8 onto the new SSD but, on closer inspection of my current hard drive I see that there are 3 sections to it, as follows and, I show the info exactly as it appears on my screen:-

1. Dell Utility (None) 8.9mb of 109.8mb
2. Recovery (None) 5.96gb of 9.61gb
3. OS C:

Presumably I can clone this drive to the new SSD or do my 'clean install' and lose these items. The question is, do I need them or, can I do without them or, is there an alternative.
Thanks again for any help.

Back
Top Bottom