You've Decided? (Maybe)

Craig Prince

In Runtime
If you could not tell by the title... http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kW4XVn

I really do think that this is it. Not even joking. I know that I'm going with the 5820K. Which means X99 and 6 core sexiness...

You might wonder why no SSD? That's because I bought a Kingston HyperX 240GB SSD a couple of weeks ago; when it was basically $60. I was wondering though, should I go with a bigger HDD?

The Geforce 770 will actually be a 870
(970?), so don't think I'm that dump not to wait a couple weeks. I might actually go with a 860 (960?), I don't know yet.

I might go with a different power supply, don't know. I just want Platinum Certified. EVGA, Corsair, XFX, or Seasonic.

That's about it. Any parts I didn't mention means I made my up my mind on those. I hope you all have a wonderful day! :D

Those GPU's aren't even on the market yet. And when they hit you can expect them to be in high 800 dollar range. The Titan GPU's start at 980 and go to over 3000 dollars.
Currently the NVidia line stops at the 780 then jumps to the Titan line.

You going to shell out that kind of money to just play video games? If yes, that's insane. You're looking at around 3000 dollars when you're done.

And if that's your plan 870watts ain't gonna get it. You need to look at a 1000watt power supply**. Be sure to get a UPS cause a power surge or a lightening strike is going to fry your multi 1000 dollar rig. I have a 125,000 dollar guarantee on mine. If a blip gets past it, APC owes me a ton of money to replace it.

** 1000watts Platinum for under 300 bucks: http://store.antec.com/highcurrentpro/hcp-1000-platinum.html#

Last edited:
Wow, just wow. Let me correct some stuff that you just said.

• The Geforce 660 launched at $230. The Geforce 760 launched at $250. There's no reason at all to believe that the 860 will launch for almost $900.
  • I saw you on the PSU Wattage Thread, so you know that there is no need for a 1000W on a single GPU config. Not to mention that the Maxwell GPUS are going to be very power consumption friendly. I hope that you're not judging your PSU wattage based on the manufacturers recommended PSU wattage.

• Thanks for actually reminding me about a UPS. I completely forgot about it. :)

Not trying to start an argument, just trying to talk. Sorry. Thanks for trying to help.

It's all good. Conversation is the gateway to enlightenment.

I usually follow OEM power specs but with a grain of salt. I like to just make a one time purchase that allows for a lot of elbow room and future proofing.
In other words, I'd rather have too much now than to be lacking later.

Nope. But hey, I was going to spend the same amount and get less performance anyway. Like I said, I won't be doing content creation. So need need for X99 at all. I know now that it's gone down so much in price, it's actually really worth it. I will be able to play games 5 years from now just fine, which sounds very nice to me.

I feel sorry for Nvidea now. The Titan Z was a fail to begin with, now THIS? It's 1/3 the price for more performance. That's just bad for Nvdia. IT'S EVEN LESS THEN A TITAN BLACK!

Back
Top Bottom