Wifi Issue

BK_123

Golden Master
Hey guys. So I have finished upgrading my desktop and moved it into my room which is not very far from the router. I have set up a repeater and I have a WiFi G card installed and it only picks up 2 bars where as my phone and laptop have been able to get full bars. I am currently connected via the ethernet port and it is a bit slow to load some pages.

My question is why would my Wifi adapter not be picking up full bars from the repeater but other devices are.

It could be 3 things:

1) putting it bluntly the adapter could just suck
2) It's connected to the source and not the repeater
3) The location of the antenna is such where there's a lot more interference.

I'd stake more money on choices 2 and 3. May i ask why if you have a cable plugged into the Ethernet port why you'd need a wireless adapter?

A repeater has to be locked on the source it's repeating. The TP-Link repeaters/access points I use have a scanner function. It sniffs the signals around it then shows a list and you select the source for it to lock in to.
I don't know which brand you have but most I've worked with over the years, have to be programmed before they work.

Unless you're using the repeater/access point as a bridge, you don't need a cable plugged in to it and your computer. Unless you're programing it. Most let you in over the wireless connection. When you reboot it though, you loose the connection.

It could be 3 things:

1) putting it bluntly the adapter could just suck
2) It's connected to the source and not the repeater
3) The location of the antenna is such where there's a lot more interference.

I'd stake more money on choices 2 and 3. May i ask why if you have a cable plugged into the Ethernet port why you'd need a wireless adapter?

The wireless adapter was already installed when I acquired it and I have just left it there.

The wireless adapter was already installed when I acquired it and I have just left it there.

That's fine, but it doesn't mean it wasn't a bad adapter to begin with. It also doesn't rule out points 2 and 3. I'm also still confused as to why you're running wireless when you're plugged into Ethernet.

The WiFi card is the Realtek 8185 Extensible 802.11b/g. PC specs

esH2jCm.png

Back
Top Bottom