Upgrading my HP

When a GPU manufacture recommends 450W minimum it's not the GPU take that much, but it's recommended for a computer running it.
They do take a typical CPU for the GPU's pricerange and RAM, motherboard and harddrive into a count.

Even though all of it together properly wont pass 300W at load, doesn't mean that you just need a 350W PSU.
You see a PSU runs best below 80%. The more % of it's total capability it uses, the less efficient it gets.
So if your computer at load uses 300W i'll recommend at least a 500W bronze validated PSU. Or a 400W gold validated PSU.

I don't think his system will pass 250. so the PSU Craig suggested should do the trick.

Last edited:
You guys aren't really helping much :/ kinda just arguing about Power supplies now. I read into it a bit and found that, no, I don't need to change the motherboard or Graphics card. I can just put a new card in and it will override the integrated one. but I still don't know which Graphics card to use or even where to put it in the motherboard. all I was able to find out is that it needs to be PCI Express.

You guys aren't really helping much :/ kinda just arguing about Power supplies now.
Then reply back to our comments. You are just replying with short messages that doesn't add much new info or thoughts.

Almost all Graphic cards should be supported an they all uses PCI-E.
How much money are you willing to spend on a graphic card?

i just read into the specs on the model "HP Model 500-339". and you should actually have a R7-240 graphic card.
It's still useless for gaming though.
A R9-270 would do wonders

Last edited:
Then reply back to our comments. You are just replying with short messages that doesn't add much new info or thoughts.

Almost all Graphic cards should be supported an they all uses PCI-E.
How much money are you willing to spend on a graphic card?

i just read into the specs on the model "HP Model 500-339". and you should actually have a R7-240 graphic card.
It's still useless for gaming though.
A R9-270 would do wonders
Sorry, I don't have alot of free time so I check back only every so often.

I'm willing to spend anywhere from around $60 to $150 ish on the card, but I think I also need a new processor and yes, I do need a new power supply.
I was looking into Video Cards and found this one GIGABYTE GV-N610D3-2GI GeForce GT 610 2GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card - Newegg.ca idk though.
Theres also the problem of where to put the new graphics card when I get it, the case id pretty small but there is a pretty empty corner right beside the motherboard I could posibly craft some sort of mount for it.

The GT610 isn't for gaming, Its more for workstations. It'd be ok for real low end games but for the latest games it wouldn't do it.

The setup is pretty easy. You just swap out the old card with the new one.
There are videos you can see to prepare you for the task.
After you have inserted the new card windows should automatically download and apply a driver.
It's still recommended to download the driver manually so you are sure you are getting the newest one.

btw. the R9-270 requires a 6 pin PCI power cord,
The R7-250 does not require any PCI power cords. It gets all the power from the PCI lanes.
Manufactures usually chooses PSU's that has the exact cords the system needs.
SO you are properly not gonna be able to use this card until you have changed PSU.
Not that i recommend adding a mid end gaming card to a low end PSU from HP anyway.

Back
Top Bottom