SSD drives

bluenose1940

In Runtime
Hello folks, anyone who has read any of my threads will have gathered that I'm a grey haired old codger who knows a miniscule amount about pc's but one that is always willing to learn.

I have seen mention of SSD's in various places and am wondering if I would benefit from having one and, if so, are they easy to fit?

What are the current specs of the PC you wish to put an SSD in. It also depends on how old it is and will it benefit from it, You'll notice with your OS installed on it that it will boot faster and programs will also load faster.

How old of a system doesn't really come into play unless it's old enough that it doesn't support SATA drives. Older systems may see the biggest benefit by installing an ssd.

Installing an ssd is pretty easy, IMO. You can use free software like Macrium Reflect to clone your original drive then remove that drive and install the ssd. The tricky part is if your ssd is smaller than the original drive, then you need to remove things from the drive and shrink partitions.

Another way to move to an ssd is to do a clean install of your OS. This is actually the preferred method but takes the most time as you need to install the OS then install all of your software. It is time consuming but not difficult.

After installing the ssd, you should see much faster boot times and the system will be snappier overall.

hi folks, my pc is a Dell Studio XPS 7100 running Windows 8.1 Pro
I have found the following information :-
AMD Phenom (tm) II x 6 processor 2.60GHz
6 GB memory
64 bit x 64 based processor
It has one in-built hard drive and the size appears to be in excess of 900gb

I have two stand-alone hard drives which I use for backup purposes

Hope this info will help you Thanks for your input.

Hi!

Then your rig are ok. for an SSD. Suggests a Samsung as they are the most reliable ones but still have a good price tag.

Just make sure that your powersupply have a spare SATA power cable? Or get a 5 pin power molex to power SATA adapter. And get a SATA signal cable if you don't have a spare?

The drive is so lightweight that you can tape it up inside the case with some silver tape in a place where there are decent air flow. Just leave an opening with the tape so the drive can "breathe" properly.

Last edited:
SSD's are the greatest thing to come alone since Friday nights and back seats.
Newegg is having it's holiday shindig so prices are really insane. I have an OZC 128gig in my hotrod and it's really quick. For the OS drive you don't really need a big one. 128 or maybe 240 will do nicely.

They do have some killer pricing on 512gig drives. I'm warming up my VISA to get one or two of those. WOOHOO!!!

From the replies it does seem that installing an SSD is the way to go. if I have a spare cable dangling within the innards of my pc, presumably it will be simply a case of making the connection.
However, if I don't have a spare cable, how easy is it to fit a 5 pin power molex, as mentioned in post #5 and, what about the SAT signal cable, where does this go and what is it connected to.
Sorry about all the questions! Thanks again for all the help.

As for the power 5 pin molex to SATA adapter, it's very easy. The 5 pin molex will go to any powersupply, 5 pin molex female connector. And the SATA power part to the corresponding connector on the SSD.

The SATA signal cable goes into any SATA connector on the motherbord and to the SSD drive.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom