First computer build, need help

Squidie9

Baseband Member
Sorry if I posted in the wrong section.

This is my first ever computer build. It will be mainly for gaming and will be playing new games (e.g. Battlefield 4, crysis 3, evolve, the witcher 3, the division etc.). I would prefer to buy all my parts from MSY, so any parts suggestions need to be available from MSY (if it's a really good part then I might consider it). Also I'm already over my budget ($1000, currently all parts cost around $1100 in total), so any parts suggestions need to be less expensive then my current selections (unless I get a huge boost in performance for a few dollars). Basically all I want to know is if my parts fit together and if they're good value for money.

PSU: Antec VP-500P 500W ($60)
Antec VP-500P 500W - MSY VIC Dandenong
Will this be enough power?

MOTHERBOARD: ASRock Z87-PRO4 Intel Z87 Socket 1150 Motherboard ($70)
ASRock Z87-PRO4 Intel Z87 Socket 1150/4xDDR3/SATA3/USB3.0/HDMI/D-SUB/GigabitLAN/ATX Motherboard - MSY VIC Online
Will all my parts fit this motherboard?
Is this a good motherboard?

HARDDRIVE: WD 3.5" Blue 500GB WD5000AAKX SATA3 16M 7200rpm HDD ($55)
WD 3.5" Blue 500GB WD5000AAKX SATA3 16M 7200rpm HDD - MSY VIC Dandenong
Will this be fine for gaming? (My budget can't afford an SSD)

CPU: Intel core i5 4690 (includes heat sink, paste and fan) (240)
Intel Core i5 4690 3.5GHz 6MB - MSY VIC Dandenong
Is this a good cpu for gaming? (I'm too scared to overclock)
Will the stock heatsink, fan and thermal paste be enough?

GPU: R9 270x($230)
Is this a good GPU?
What settings would I run Crysis 3 at?
What settings will I be able to run future games at (e.g. Evolve, the division, the witcher 3)
What will the FPS be like?
Which version should I get?
Sapphire SA-R9270X-2GD5-OC (11217-01-41G) 2G DDR5 R9 270X OC PCI-E VGA Card - MSY VIC Dandenong
Or
Sapphire SA-R9270X-2GD5-VAPOR (11217-00-41G) 2G DDR5 R9 270X VAPOR PCI-E VGA Card - MSY VIC Dandenong
Or
Gigabyte R927XOC-2GD 2GB R9-270X OC PCI-E VGA Card - MSY VIC Dandenong
Or
Asus R9270X-DC2T-2GD5 2GB R9 270X PCI-E VGA Card - MSY VIC Dandenong
(I'm too scared to overclock)

OPTICAL DRIVE: LiteOn IHAS124-OEM Black Internal SATA Dual Layer DVD RW ($17)
LiteOn IHAS124-OEM Black Internal SATA Dual Layer DVD RW - MSY VIC Dandenong
Will this optical drive be fine? (I'll probably only use it for installing windows 8)

Static wrist strap ($7)

CASE: Antec GX500B-W Dominator Window USB3.0 Gaming Case without PSU (No PSU) ($60)
Antec GX500B-W Dominator Window USB3.0 Gaming Case without PSU - MSY VIC Dandenong
Will all my components fit in this case?
Will the stock fans be enough? (I won't be overclocking)
Will my GPU fit?
Should I have negative or positive air pressure? (We have a wood fire, so our house is very dusty)

MONITOR: AOC 21.5" E2260swdn ($130)
AOC 21.5" E2260swdn - MSY VIC Dandenong
Is this a good monitor?

KEYBOARD AND MOUSE: GIGABYTE Wireless Desktop GK-KM7580 Multimedia (K/B+Mouse) ($22)
GIGABYTE Wireless Desktop GK-KM7580 Multimedia (K/B+Mouse) - MSY VIC Dandenong

RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury HX318C10FK2/8 8GB (2x4GB) Blue ($93)
Kingston HyperX FURY Blue HX318C10FK2/8 8G Kit (4Gx2) DDR3 1866MHz Desktop Ram - MSY VIC Dandenong
Will this fit in my motherboard?
Will this be enough ram for gaming?

SOFTWARE: 64bit Microsoft MS Windows 8.1 (WN7-00614) OEM ($107)
64bit Microsoft MS Windows 8.1 (WN7-00614) OEM - MSY VIC Dandenong

SECURITY: Symantec Norton Internet Security 2014 OEM - 1 User ($16)
Symantec Norton Internet Security 2014 OEM - 1 User - MSY VIC Dandenong
Is this good security?

Any recommendations?
Any tips?

Any feedback would be appreciated. So sorry about all the questions. Thanks in advance.

Okay, so many questions! Don't worry I'll answer these though, might be a long thread.

• That will be enough power, however I would go with a higher wattage and a modular PSU. Great PSU makers are Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, and EVGA.
  • That motherboard uses a Z87 chipset, which is outdated now that Z97 is available. I would also recommend an Asus, Gigabyte, or MSI motherboard.
  • I would go with a bigger HDD, like a 1TB. As well as combine that with a 120GB SSD to store your OS and Software/SomeGames on.
  • Only thing I would change about the CPU is change it to the K version of that CPU, you may not want to overclock now, however you might in the future.
  • The 270X while not an awful card, is still a mid range card. It would be able to play any game you wanted to, however not at Ultra settings. The best video card makers are EVGA, XFX, Asus, MSI, and Gigabyte.
  • I would go with a different case then that. It's not an awful case, however there are better ones. The best case makers are Corsair, Phanteks, NZXT, and Fractal Design.
  • That RAM is standard DDR3, so it will work fine. Kingston makes good RAM, but other good makers are G.Skill, and Corsair.
  • I would go with an Asus or BenQ monitor myself, however that monitor isn't that bad.
  • If you want a cheap keyboard and mouse, go with the CoolerMaster Storm Devastator Combo. It's very well priced for what it is.
  • Windows 8 is fine. MOST PEOPLE WON'T YOU TELL YOU THAT! :D
  • No just no. Don't go with a Norton Antivirus, stay away from them and McAfee. Just get the free version of Avast, AVG, or Bitdefender.
Many questions. Such answers. Okay serious talk, why do you want to go order from MSY so bad? I know little about them, however I'm pretty sure I would just go order from Newegg or NCIX.

Anyways I made a Pcpartpicker list for you, I also strongly advise using it yourself. Intel Core i5-4690K, XFX Radeon R9 280, Phanteks Enthoo Pro - System Build - PCPartPicker

I hope I helped you out today. I also hope you have a wonder day! :)

Very nice post from Crag.
and the system he put together for you on PCpartPicker is great.
Better than your current setup. If they ship to Australia, you should consider it.

I agree. Craig Prince suggestions are very nice. A small suggestion for the monitor though.

Look at Benq as Craig Prince says. Or Acer instead, I have a 24 inch, full 1080P. Acer G246HL that whas cheap but are very good indeed.

Remember to also get a DVI or HDMI cable when you buy the monitor.

Last edited:
Thanks Craig Prince, biker echo and wherewolf for the advice. Much appreciated.

Craig Prince, I want to order from MSY because they do pickup in Melbourne, which saves on shipping costs and I want to get everything from the same place (I'll check out newegg after posting). Also Im sorry about all the questions, but I'm new to building computers and don't know much about computer parts and what's best.

Thanks again everyone for the help.

Ok then.
What do you think of this monitor VA2249S 21.5" Full HD IPS Display. Full HD IPS Display for better entertainment experience. - LCD Display - Products - ViewSonic
I've heard that ips looks a lot better and that the viewing angles are really good (the computer will be in my bedroom, so I'll probably spend a lot of time laying on my bed while playing).
Also someone suggested on another forum that I should get the gtx 760 instead. What do you guys think of that card? Is the r9 280 better?

The AMD R9 280 is overall a better deal then the Geforce GTX 760. More power/Slightly Cheaper. It consumes more power, however that shouldn't matter a whole lot in most cases.

As I said before, and Wherewolf suggested. The best monitor manufacturers are Asus and BenQ. So try and get one of those.

Ok then.
What do you think of this monitor VA2249S 21.5" Full HD IPS Display. Full HD IPS Display for better entertainment experience. - LCD Display - Products - ViewSonic
I've heard that ips looks a lot better and that the viewing angles are really good (the computer will be in my bedroom, so I'll probably spend a lot of time laying on my bed while playing).
Also someone suggested on another forum that I should get the gtx 760 instead. What do you guys think of that card? Is the r9 280 better?

The R9 280 are the better card as said.

Viewsonic are often good monitors. And so are this model too according to customer reviews. BUT! It has a glossy bezel.

I still think you should look at the other monitors we suggested.

Thanks Craig prince and wherewolf.

I'll check out those monitors and probably get an r9 280.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

Back
Top Bottom