Hi Guys! Connecting USB printer to Router

stuckwithIT

Beta member
Hi guys, glad to be here, heard a lot about you. First problem, I need to get my USB printer connected to my router and working.

Background: My HP Laserjet 1020 has been connected to my Belkin N600 router via its USB cable, and worked perfectly for 18 months. I have Orange/EE Broadband and a recent connection problem could not be resolved by EE as they said they could not support the Belkin router. They advised me to use the Orange BrightBox router as supplied when I signed up with them 18 months ago.

I changed the router to the Orange BrightBox and the connection problem was resolved. However, the USB socket on the Orange router is configured for an external hard drive and will not support the printer.

Can anyone advise what device will accept the printer USB input and provide an Ethernet output to connect to the Orange router so the printer will function on the wireless network.
Thanks.

You're looking for a USB print server, kind of like this. It gives the printer an IP address on the network.

You also have the option of sharing the printer from the desktop PC, and using that to offer printing to the wireless network. Only certain devices can use that though.

You're looking for a USB print server, kind of like this. It gives the printer an IP address on the network.

This ^^

I recommend doing this and sharing it through Windows will only allow other Windows machines to make use of it on wireless whereas a print server will give it an IP address and allow other devices to use it..

Back
Top Bottom