Finally, A Job!

I don't have a job but do receive benefits from the government and half that every fornight goes towards rent as I still live with my parents..

Yep, I'm on assistance and retirement and I and my sis live together (we own the house) so we split the bills. The property tax is ridiculous but it sure beat paying rent.

I was told that until I turn 18, I won't help pay the bills. That's because once you're 18 most kids move out, or at least have the option to.

I was told that until I turn 18, I won't help pay the bills. That's because once you're 18 most kids move out, or at least have the option to.
Tell that to my 4 adult kids (ages 30, 28, 25 & 23) that currently still live at home. They all have jobs but don't make enough to live on their own. 2 of them moved out for awhile but ended up moving back in for one reason or another. We ask each of them to contribute $100/month toward the household budget and they grumble about that. My wife doesn't work so it's just me supporting the 6 of us.

I need them to move out and support themselves as I plan to retire soon!

Tell that to my 4 adult kids (ages 30, 28, 25 & 23) that currently still live at home. They all have jobs but don't make enough to live on their own. 2 of them moved out for awhile but ended up moving back in for one reason or another. We ask each of them to contribute $100/month toward the household budget and they grumble about that. My wife doesn't work so it's just me supporting the 6 of us.

That's a very difficult situation to be in and I am sorry. It seems you'll need to put your foot down and push them out to sink or swim. When faced with no other choice, some people will do what they need to in order to make what they need to. If they can't / won't do that, they need to figure something out because it is not reasonable to expect you to support a family of six forever.

Nonetheless, congratulations on the job Craig! Having a job is not always fun as it is typically not something that is enjoyable to do. Even so, allow for your jobs to be stepping stones towards your goals in life. Allow for your jobs to build your experience, character and discipline for your career. Best of luck to you!

Me too. When i was 17 years old and living with my parents i used to give them $150 bucks a month for rent.

I remember when I dropped out of school and entered trade school, I got a job after and my mom gave me the house payments to cover.

I think that asking each of your children to contribute $100 every towards the bills, food and other expenses is fair. I am a twin and my sister also pays rent much to her disgust. I help around the house with the housework and have school 3 days a week. I'd like to move out but I am not in a position to be able to do that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom