True Computer GEEK - HELP! Gateway GT5408

dkamaro

Beta member
Guys, Brand new to this website. I have an old Gateway GT5408. I believe there are issues with my hard drive. When I run CHK DSK, it states that the BITMAP is incorrect and that there is a problem with a file. It states to run CHKDSK/F to fix the problem. This can only be done by rebooting the computer. Once I do that, CHKDSK runs through the first 4 checks of the system and and states they are okay, no issues, no repairs, step 5 is checking empty partitions (I think that's what it's called), while doing this, the computer locks up and will not finish the check. No matter how many times I reboot the computer, it automatically runs the CHKDSK/F and locks up. I then have to put the System Restore disk and reprogram everything, however, this issue still exists when that is done. The computer does operate just with some issues now and then. Unfortunately, I was forced to retire earlier this year so I am living on SS retirement and basically poor, cannot afford to buy another computer or repair this one. Does this sound like the Hard Drive is bad? If so, I assume there is no way to repair it?

I have read some threads on this site and I am impressed. Many of you obviously know your stuff.

Thanks much for your time in reading this.:hide:

Hello and welcome to ComputerForums!

Did something happen on the computer that caused for you to run CHKDSK originally? I'd love to help out but would like to have as much information as possible, so that I may direct you accordingly.

It's not a good thing that CHKDSK is freezing, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the drive is in need of replacement either. If the drive does need to be replaced, a replacement drive typically costs between $40-$50, which may be out of your budget due to your situation at the moment. A hard drive can not be physically repaired although some issues such as bad sectors and fragmentation can be repaired with simple tools.

Thanks for responding. I first learned about CHKDSK when the computer itself went into that mode when booting up. The only security I run on this computer is Spybot and Ad-Aware besides what comes with Vista/Defender. There are very few web-sites I frequent and I do not open e-mail unless I know where it is coming from.

Spybot ran and stated that after 3 tries, it could not clean file 140805-115924.xml. After searching for a while, I found that file that had about 8 entries into it. I ran Spyboy separately on each entry and it finally cleaned them all.

As I stated, as soon as I touch the keyboard in the am, the computer starts running full bore as if every program on it was running. I still have a feeling that something is wrong with the hard drive. Once in a while when I try to go to a web-site through Firefox, the entire screen will begin moving all over the place.

I am really not sure what else to say except that when it comes to computers, I am lost. :trash:

Hey there!

- Does CHKDSK run every time you reboot the computer now?
- The computer fans kicking up when you press the keyboard sounds as if the computer is coming out of hibernation. The fans should slow down after a few minutes or so. Does this happen or does it run like this for the entire time?
- Is there any way to describe what happens when the screen goes all over? This could be perceived different ways when it comes to computers, so I'd like to get some clarification if possible.

I'll do my best to assist with your computer issues. I can't guarantee resolution, or that it won't be a worst case scenario (hardware failure), but I'll do my very best to advise you as we go along.

Hey Back, the computer does not run CHKDSK when I reboot now. When I manually set CHKDSK to run at boot up, it will run but will not finish stopping in the last section 5 which says it is checking empty sectors. It just seems to get to about mid way through the 5th part of the check and freeze. I once let it sit all night long and in the morning, it was still on the same mode and would not complete. When this happens, each and every time I try to stop the check and cannot. The only thing I can do is reboot the computer but it then automatically runs CHKDSK. The only way I have found to cure running CHKDSK at boot up and to be able to once again use the computer is to put the Operating Disk in which supposedly wipes everything clean (including the hard drive) and reloads all of the programs. I have a feeling that when I do this, it is not erasing the entire hard drive, there is something in the empty sector area that is there permanently. Possibly a virus or damaged disk. What I do not understand is that it checks all the other disks in all the first 4 sections of the scan and repairs any issues fine. When it gets to part 5, check empty sectors is when the problem arises. How can the be a problem in "EMPTY" sectors? Apparently, they are NOT empty.

The computer fan seems to be operating normal now, just every once in a while it will take off running 100% for a short period of time. As for the screen shaking, it has only done it twice. The screen stays within the computer screen itself, it just shakes as if it is bouncing off of the edges within the computer screen parameters itself.

I am able to use the computer and do what little I do with it daily but every once in a while it does something that locks it up and I have to unplug it to use it again. I feel that there is something wrong but I am not savvy enough with computers to know where to begin to check and I do not want to do something to screw anything up worse.

Back
Top Bottom