Backup / RAID recommendations

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Alright, so here's the scoop. I just need to bounce some ideas off of you guys.

I need a new solution to my backups. I feel like I'm running a ridiculous amount of hard drives between my NAS and my desktop (+ any backup drives).

My brain is jello having thought about this for a few days and I just need someone to weigh in.

Current setup:
Desktop (system drive is an SSD, so speed of the data drive in the system is NOT very essential) = RAID1 (1TB w/ parity). Parity drive currently degraded and pulled from system. Needs to be sent in to WD under warranty.

NAS (running on a Mint Linux server) = RAID5 (3 x 1TB array, 2TB usable due to RAID5). This system houses media. The data on here is different from the data on my desktop. However, 2 of the drives in the array are reporting over-temp errors. Both passed short tests, but failed acoustics which I don't understand. I haven't done long tests on them. It'll be my last time with Samsung (under Seagate, since it was after the acquisition) drives since two failed at the same time. I'm going to attempt to backup data and then write zeros to the drive. I'm not aware if there are bad sectors since I haven't run long tests on the drives yet. The RAID5 still shows up and is readable/writeable through the Linux system, as well as through network access from the desktop.

I've got two independent 750GB Seagate drives that I've got in enclosures to run backups. Those I just threw together because I needed to back up data on the desktop when the 1TB parity drive failed.

I've also got another computer on the network with a 320GB drive in it that I would like to be able to backup.

Anyways, all that aside, this is what I was envisioning:
Desktop: Move back to 1 physical data drive in the system and run nightly backups to a new drive on the NAS (not the RAID 5 array).

Secondary computer on network: Leave as-is and setup backups to run weekly (not mission critical--no sense in doing nightly ones)

NAS: Depending on the health of the drives, I may just keep them in RAID5 (they are out of warranty), and purchase a 3TB WD Red (NAS) drive. On this drive I would run incremental desktop backups (only 1TB of data possible there), as well as backing up the 2TB RAID5 on the NAS (this IS indeed redundant, but I figure since the drives may fail, I'd go ahead and do this).

Let me know what you think. I'm up for some new ideas!

I'm working on a graphical representation. I know that there's a lot going on and a picture is worth 1,000 words. Give me a few minutes and I should have it done.

what exactly are you trying to do...? back up your NAS?

Backup to my NAS (which maybe isn't the best name for it anyways--it's an actual server box--with an OS--with storage drives which I share out to the network.)

rw6x1O3.png

the setup looks fine, you doing software or hard ware raid? do you plan on replacing the drives if they are truly bad?

the setup looks fine, you doing software or hard ware raid? do you plan on replacing the drives if they are truly bad?

Laid out graphically, I agree that the setup should be satisfactory.

To be honest, I doubt I'll replace them if they are bad--especially since they aren't under warranty. I know my media doesn't take up quite 1TB yet, so I'll be fine. If they are indeed bad, I'll drop my media storage size down to 1TB for now (just run the one good drive as-is) and back that up to the 3TB WD Red drive for redundancy.

Right now, the Linux box is running a software RAID. I mainly did that because I was experimenting with Linux and wanted to try to set that up. However, I may move it back to hardware RAID. I'm not sure which gamble I'd rather take. Hardware RAID may be the way I go, though, based on the ease of use to rebuild should a drive fail. I'm not quite familiar enough with Linux to know how to recover a drive. I'd be on the Googles looking for info if that happened! Ha!

Back
Top Bottom