Good PC that will last?

oneill112

Beta member

I'm looking for a desktop PC that will last me a while. I want something that I can have, and not worry about upgrading for the next few years. I was looking at the ASUS VM60-G072R ( Amazon.com: ASUS VM60-G072R Desktop: Computers & Accessories ), because I like it's small form factor, and it's not ridiculously expensive. I don't need it to handle games at all, but I want it to have good speeds for surfing the web, and running local programs like Microsoft Word. So i would appreciate any suggestions, or recommendations for a PC that fits my needs, and preferably for one that is cost-effective.

When it comes to buying a PC, the best price to performance is building your own custom PC. Not only is a custom PC cheaper, but it is much more reliable and upgradable.

Example of upgrading. If you bought the Asus-VM60-G072R, you would never be able to upgrade the video card or processor. So if you wanted to game more in the future, you would have to buy an entire new PC.

So what I would recommend to you is to build your own PC. Order the parts from sites like Newegg, Amazon, NCIX, ect. If you would like I would help you put together a parts list for you as well.

I hope you have a great day! :)

@oneill112
Your choice is fine.

When it comes to buying a PC, the best price to performance is building your own custom PC.

That's simply not true.

To demonstrate, use a PC builder to include everything (s)he would get with that combo.

Mine comes out to $511... saving a whole $36 and riddled with substandard parts.

Important to note too, that's with a $10 power supply, and $15 video card. Video card is meh, but I'd never trust my parts with a $10 PSU.

So, what this boils down to is; building your own is not always the answer... It seems like there is an influx of "This works here, so I'll post it there." You need to take the time to consider that posters are not as tech savvy as you (claim to be) and so building may not even be an option.

Read the problem description, understand the problem and then prepare a solution. Sometimes that solution is a simple "Yep."

Example of upgrading.

We have those here at work. You can upgrade some parts... and what percentage of people do you think constantly upgrade their PC's?

Not trying to be rude here iPwn, but you must have made some bad choices to get the price up to $511. The list I made came out at $461, has 8GB of RAM, a SSD, and much else. I'll link it in case he wants to use it.

Intel Core i3-4130, Corsair 200R - System Build - PCPartPicker

The reason why it has a core i3 instead of an i5 is because for just browsing the web and using basic programs, he won't need a core i5 at all.

I agree with iPwn, All the OP would like to do is surf the web and do word processing so the ASUS is an excellent choice and it has an i5 which is more than enough for OP's needs. So in this case a custom build is not needed.

Not trying to be rude here iPwn, but you must have made some bad choices to get the price up to $511. The list I made came out at $461, has 8GB of RAM, a SSD, and much else. I'll link it in case he wants to use it.

Intel Core i3-4130, Corsair 200R - System Build - PCPartPicker

The reason why it has a core i3 instead of an i5 is because for just browsing the web and using basic programs, he won't need a core i5 at all.

Operating system? That's another ~$80-90

Most people when they build a PC, just use their old OS. If he doesn't have a OS he wants to use, then he can add one. Very rarely does a PC build list include an OS.

Most people [that i know] when they build a PC, just [pirate, or] use their old OS. If he doesn't have a OS he wants to use [which was part of the original deal and assumed requirement], then he can add one [at same or higher cost than he was wanting to spend in the first place, plus he has to assemble]. [As far as I know, v]ery rarely does a PC build list include an OS.

fixt.

:whistling:

Back
Top Bottom