Random Chit Chat

f171c8ef7977a91ccee17c76aa261adf29bc454e1b380eccd5226edf9363ebaa.jpg

I feel bad that zoidburg is the one yelling at me :sick:

I had a little issues with my win8 installation.
Everytime i need to copy anything from 1 drive to another it always tells me that i need administrative permissions. (it's not that stupid uac message, it was one of the first things i disabled.. hate that thing) It's not a big problem sense i can just click continue, but it's still bothered me. i found out that my user don't have modify access on the C:\ root.
Now the problem was that It didn't allow me to gain myself "full control" over C:\. So i downloaded a software called magic unlocker. It has served me well in windows 7. (i have had a similar problem that magic unlocker fixed in a blink of an eye. so obviously i tried that first). I used it on my C:\ drive and it BSOD'ed. Then explorer.exe wound't start when i turn on the system. not even if i told it to start via the "new task" in the job list. :lol:
I launched system restore via CMD (start rstrui.exe). Good old command prompt. :)

I figured out that I needed to apply some permissions to each of the individual folders in C:\ (i was not able to do it on the root. I had to choose a folder). I first needed to change the ownership from Micro$ofts stupid "trust installer" to the administrators group.
then i could give myself full access. easy peasy. This just shouldn't happen. The problem started from a fresh install.
anyway. just thought i'll tell you guys.

Last edited:
I had a little issues with my win8 installation....

The way Win8 handles file permissions is stupid! I had this problem every time I reinstalled it. Particularly with my secondary data drive. Best fix?

Run CMD as Admin
Issue these commands @ root of drive:

Code:
takeown /f *.*  /r /d Y
Then
Code:
icacls x: /grant Administrators:F /T

x = Target Drive Letter

Thanks. i'll try it.

Good god the first command takes a long time. I had to cancel it. Did it take long for you?

doesn't matter much though, i have already fixed it by changing permissions in the individual folders in C:\ (which is stupid that i have to do this)

Good god the first command takes a long time. I had to cancel it. Did it take long for you?

It takes a while, yes. It touches every. single. file. on your drive and elevates privileges for you so you can run the second command that gives you full rights to each one. It's a long process so I usually do it after all my driver installs and what not then walk away. Come back, kick off the second, walk away.

which is stupid

No lie... no lie.

EDIT: So that's usually a product of re-installing Windows on a drive that has files existing. To rectify going forward, get ALL of your personal data off the root drive, and then DBAN (completely wipe) it clean (a quick erase will suffice). Then install Windows and you won't have that problem on your main drive... just secondary drives.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom