CPU upgrading.

DatGuySven

Solid State Member
Hello!
So I got myself a new pc, and I'd like to upgrade my processor.
I currently have Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5400 2.70GHz.
Can someone suggest me something better, like for gaming.
Prize range should be around 100$.

That CPU is LGA775 so you'd need a CPU with that socket and your bet would be eBay to find one. Something like an Intel Core 2 Quad would be good, Intel® CORE™2 Quad Q6600 2 4GHz 8M 1066 SOCKET775 | eBay, See search results intel core 2 quad | eBay
Thanks,
but if I currently have 2.7 GHz dual core and if I'd get quad core 2.4 that you suggested to me, would I still be able to play games that require 2.7 GHz CPU, just because it's quad core?
And I found this on Amazon, seems like a great deal?
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-E8400-P...ie=UTF8&qid=1406202436&sr=8-2&keywords=LGA775

Last edited:
Yeah you'll be able to play them, The Quad series is better than the Core series. What is the model of your motherboard, Normally depending on who the manufacturer is they may give you a list of compatible CPU's.

Yeah you'll be able to play them, The Quad series is better than the Core series. What is the model of your motherboard, Normally depending on who the manufacturer is they may give you a list of compatible CPU's.
I think its this:
dell inspiron 560 560s motherboard g43t-dm1

That has a G43 mobile chipset in it and the onboard graphics is crap. The LGA775 socket has gone the way of the DoDo.

Low end Dells are not known for being gaming machines nor upgradeable to the point you can play decent games on one of them. IMO you wasted your money buying a dinosaur and wanting to try to upgrade that one is a waste of time and money.

Roll your own, as we say in the RC crowd. You need something that does what you want, but no prebuilt system does it, build your own.
Prices are coming down on last gen parts. best to build to your own specs than some one else's.

By the way, does that model have the large plastic hood over the CPU?

That has a G43 mobile chipset in it and the onboard graphics is crap. The LGA775 socket has gone the way of the DoDo.

Low end Dells are not known for being gaming machines nor upgradeable to the point you can play decent games on one of them. IMO you wasted your money buying a dinosaur and wanting to try to upgrade that one is a waste of time and money.

Roll your own, as we say in the RC crowd. You need something that does what you want, but no prebuilt system does it, build your own.
Prices are coming down on last gen parts. best to build to your own specs than some one else's.

Building on from what Seti has just said Dell's support for its parts are terrible as they generally make their own motherboards and finding info on them is hopeless but in the case it seems ECS has made it ECS Web Site > G43T-M (V1.0A). Like Seti said your better off doing a custom build.

Yeah, i know it's bad..
It can still run some games, and I don't even want and I know I cant run like really new games or high graphics ones.
I got the computer for free tho, so I haven't put any money into it yet.
So I guess I should still build a pc myself. Do you have any suggestions for a decent motherboard then?
Thanks!

And I'm not sure about the plastic cover, I have a vent over the cpu.

Back
Top Bottom