Computer graphics card help

hcorion

Solid State Member
Hi everybody!
My mom's computer's graphics card is busted(we figure). It is an old decrepit machine that she got on a black friday deal. Here is the product: HP p6243w. The problem is that:
1. Cheap, has to be in the 0$-80$ Range
2. Has to be able to handle programs (at a nice framerate) such as Quest Atlantis Activeworlds and Settlers 7
3. Has to be Nvidia (ok, it doesn't have to be, but it is wanted)
The graphics card I looking at is the GeForce GTS 450 What do you guys think? will it even work with the system?
Now, I know what you guys might be saying, What kind of machine is this? This should be in the garbage already! I know. The plan is to buy a desktop, but if we buy the graphics card before hand, then we don't have to worry about the graphics card in a new desktop.

That card should work fine, If you want to reuse the card in a new desktop then you'll need to see if the motherboard, case etc will support it but you'd be better to buy a new card for a new desktop.

Hi!

That card will work. But if you want something better in the same price category? Get the Radeon HD 5770.

But as HP always seems to use very weak powersupplys. In this case it's a 250W. You will have to swap to a 450 - 500W to be able to run any of these cards. The minimum recomended psu are 430W for that HP + any of these cards according to a powersupply calculator. But a 500W will be more useful and future proof if you build a pc later on?

And you should never go dirt cheap on a psu. That will punish you later on.

Powersupply suggestion: Corsair CX500 V2 CX Series CP-9020047-US 500W Power Supply - 80 Plus Bronze, 120mm Fan, Active PFC, 90~264V Input, Supports Full Tower Cases, Single +12V Rail at TigerDirect.com

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom