after case upgrade 2 HDDs aren't reconized?

stevethebrain

In Runtime
I recently upgraded my prebuilt PC's case now I'm having diffacutly w/ two HDDs, I have five drives all together one OS SSD and four storage drives since the upgraded case two drive ar'nt being recognized.

looked in BIOS saw four HDDs on ports 1,3,4,5
ports 2 & 6 not reconized.

the Western digiat smart reconizes all the drives
attach SS.

I connected one of the none functioning internal drives as a USB still the drive dos'nt show up in my computer. attach SS.

I should mention I was able to install the 5.25" hot removable HDD tray this is where one of the none functioning drive was before I connected w/ USB.

also the CD mysteryiously appeared as a CD not a what it usalley is a DVD.

edit I also checked each drive in device manager and DM see's all the drives and locations and says this device is functioning properly.

Thanks for any assitance
STB

Attachments

• ssmycomputersees3hdd.jpg
    ssmycomputersees3hdd.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 10
  • sssmartsees5hdd.jpg
    sssmartsees5hdd.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 7
Are these fresh drives or drives with data already on them? They may need to be initialized in disk management if they are fresh.

Are these fresh drives or drives with data already on them? They may need to be initialized in disk management if they are fresh.

the two none functioning drives have data on them and where dissconnected a couple of weeks pior to the new case upgrade.

I think I messed up when I did'nt keep track of which SATA port these drives where connected to and simply reconnect to same port.
Thanks STB

the two none functioning drives have data on them and where dissconnected a couple of weeks pior to the new case upgrade.

I think I messed up when I did'nt keep track of which SATA port these drives where connected to and simply reconnect to same port.
Thanks STB

Port will not matter. The devices should show up regardless. Can you check the BIOS to see if the drives are being recognized?

This may be a silly question, but did you remember to plug in the SATA power to the drives?

silly ? is the one that's not asked.

yes both SATA data and power are connected.

the BIOS see's 4 HDDs.

I actualley relucktanly reformatted one of HDD in disc. management so now I only need to fix one HDD.

BTW I am reusing the hot swap HDD tray from the OEM case. and it's all plugged in.

Thanks STB

That's a lot of drives.

There's a chance that if the new case also has a card reader, the extra drives are trying to use a drive letter that's already in use by another device.

That's a lot of drives.

There's a chance that if the new case also has a card reader, the extra drives are trying to use a drive letter that's already in use by another device.

It's possible. OP, try assigning a new drive letter from Disk Management.

That's a lot of drives.

the old case had a card reader I will eventualley transplant it to the new case as of right now it's been unplugged from the MOBO. the new case dos'nt have a card reader.

I intead on installing card reader in the new case's 5.25 slot.

I want to sort out my storage drives then move on to the card reader and front USB ports install

It's possible. OP, try assigning a new drive letter from Disk Management.
Disk Management does'nt reconize this none functioning drive.K:/drive

the Western digiat smart reconizes all the drives
attach SS. in post1

ports 2 & 6 not reconized. also I did'nt see the DVD drive in the BIOS

and when I press the button to open the front tray on the DVD burner it doe'snt open.

edit I once removed the then F:/ drive then reinstalled it and
windows assigned it as a K:/ maybe Windows has done this relableing again and one letter is allready in use?
Thanks STB

Last edited:
ports 2 & 6 not reconized. also I did'nt see the DVD drive in the BIOS

If you cannot see the hard drive, then you have bigger issues that exist outside of the operating system and we're now to the point of moving to the line of physical issues that may exist. A number of things could be happening. you could have a bad cable(s), bad port (s), bad PSU (that's power the SATA drives), etc.

Try swapping with a known-good port that you know is showing up in BIOS and report your results.

and when I press the button to open the front tray on the DVD burner it doe'snt open.

This has nothing to do with the operating system. Either you don't have power to the drive, the drive is dead, or there's an issue with your power supply. The drive will open/close as long it's powered, regardless of if it's even connected with a SATA data cable.

I will start the narrowing down process including HDD's SATA power and Data cable w/ known function stuff.

tommorow and report back hopefully it's not serious The sys. worked good before the new case and I was very carefull.
STB

Back
Top Bottom