Upgrading OEM PC case can't identify the front panel wires

stevethebrain

In Runtime
Upgrading OEM PC case can't identify the front panel wires

I'm upgrading my prebuilt PC's case it has a Intel H57 MOBO the front panel pins are not labled on the MOBO.

there are three sets of twisted pairs of wires at the MOBO all three are combined into one connecter.

at the front panel I have a blue & white at the top of the on off button, a red & white at the bottom of the on/off button and a green & white appears to be a small LED probablley a HDD activity light.

would the blue white be the on and the red white be the off?

this PC never had a reset buttom so I won't use it on the new case's front panel.

how to determine the polarity of the green,blue and red like is white usalley the negative?

Thanks STB

Well, the easiest way that I've found to figure out which go where is to actually jump the pins myself with a standard/flathead screwdriver. Polarity on switches should not matter. You are essentially just completing a circuit to start the computer, so polarity isn't an issue. I would unplug the proprietary connector, then just try to jump the wire pairs and see which turns on your computer. My guess is one pair is the on/off switch, the next pair is power LED, and the last is the HDD activity LED. If anything, you'll just get your power and HDD LED backwards (so that your power light flickers and your HDD is solid), in which case, you just swap them so they are correct. Black/white cables are typically ground/negative; colored wires are positive.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

OK I'll try jumping the blue white pins that are on top of the ON/OFF switch

what confussing is why are there red white under the ON/OFF switch.?

maybe this is the OFF since this OEM PC did'nt have a reset button?

when I jump the blue and the PC actualley turns on I assume I must hold the screwdriver on the pins?

If it doe's turn on then I'll connect the blue and white to same location on MOBO. then find the other two wires correct location.

Thanks STB

OK I'll try jumping the blue white pins that are on top of the ON/OFF switch

what confussing is why are there red white under the ON/OFF switch.?

maybe this is the OFF since this OEM PC did'nt have a reset button?

My guess is it's a dual switch. Controls the on/off and the reset. Or, more likely, does your power button on the case have an LED behind it? That may be the wires for the power LED.

when I jump the blue and the PC actualley turns on I assume I must hold the screwdriver on the pins?

Nope. You just have to jump it once, then it will stay on. You should not need constant pin connection.

yes I'm thinking the dual switch doe's actualley turn the sys.on and off because I have to hold the on/off switch down for the sys. to reset.

anyway hers the update

The good news is I got the sys. To bootup w/ the new case's on off switch.

the new case's on off switch. is currently the only front panel wire I have connected.
In this location pins 8-6 in the intel link above.

the new case has a reset switch I'm thinking of plugging into locations 5-7 will look at the polarity of the orginal wire to determine positive and negative.

the intel site has the HDD activity LED as pins 1 -3 is this actualley
power LED?

intel site has power LED as pins 2-4 the new case has two connecters one PLED+/other PLED- here so there must be a polarity?

Thanks STB

You won't ruin anything if your polarity is backwards, you just won't get a light...in which case you just flip flop the polarity and wah-lah! LEDs won't light with reverse polarity, so just flip em around.

Resolved the front panel wiring.

Good news is sys. Bootups fine and recognizes OS SSD X:/drive and Y:/

Bad news is I have 4 storage drives K:/ and Z:/ are not showing up.

I looked into the BIOS and saw ports 1,3,4,5

Ports 2,6 are listed as not recognized.

I switched the working X:/s SATA port w/ the none working K:/ K:/ drive won't come up in my computer however even after the switch the X:/ still shows up in my computer.

Also the DVD is'nt showing up in my computer.

I have all drives SATA power and DATA connected.

I believe the DVD must be connected to a dedicated SATA port?

Thanks STB

Please create a new thread for the new issues you are experiencing since we'll be getting off the thread topic.

Back
Top Bottom