I have 3 options, which one to pick?

timmy5000

Beta member
I started inquiring about which parts to pick for a build. I am completely new to this so some people gave me 3 builds that they think would be perfect for me. Can someone please check and tell me which would be more suitable for me?

Here is what I will use it for:

- Web developing (Coding and Graphic Designing with Photoshop)
- Video Editing (Mostly with Camtasia)
- E-mailing and Web Browsing
- A lot of downloading
- Watching a movie online at least 4 times a week
- Multi-tasking

My goal was for a high-end or high-performance build. Here are my options: (Budget: $700-1700)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($127.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($229.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case ($179.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)

OR

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($97.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 270 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Xion XON-560 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($46.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)

OR

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN3-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 and Black Interior - Newegg.com

Psu: CORSAIR CX series CX500 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Newegg.com

Motherboard + cpu: MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate FM2+ / FM2 AMD A88X (Bolton D4) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - Newegg.com

AMD Athlon X4 750K Trinity Quad-Core 3.4GHz Socket FM2 100W Desktop Processor - Black Edition AD750KWOHJBOX - Newegg.com

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL - Newegg.com

Videocard: SAPPHIRE DUAL-X 100365L Radeon R9 270 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Video Card With BOOST & OC - Newegg.com

Harddrives: Western Digital WD Black WD5003AZEX 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive Bare Drive - Newegg.com

WD My Passport Ultra 1TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive WDBZFP0010BRD-NESN Red - Newegg.com

I would really really appreciate it if someone can please leave their opinions below.

If you do a lot of downloading I would suggest a bigger hard drive something like 2-3 tb

Sent from my iPad using Computer Forums

I would say any of the Intel kits. Wich? Just depending on how much you are willing to spend? Both alternatives will work well.

Btw. CoolerMaster HAF is the best choise for a midtower. Great cooling thanks to the 200 mm fans and silent operation.

My other suggestion is to go for Windows 7 64 bit instead.
Easier to work with and less of a resource hog.

If you want a good and silent but pretty cheap cpu cooler? Then this is a winner: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

install the cpu + any cooler before you mount the motherboard into the case. Expect slightly higher temperatures at the beginning, before the thermal paste on the cooler have settled. Takes about a week or 2.

Get an antistatic wristlet! Static electrisity, can harm the hardware.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Which build do you guys think I should go with though?

I would say any of the Intel kits. Wich? Just depending on how much you are willing to spend? Both alternatives will work well.

Btw. CoolerMaster HAF is the best choise for a midtower. Great cooling thanks to the 200 mm fans and silent operation.

My other suggestion is to go for Windows 7 64 bit instead.
Easier to work with and less of a resource hog.

If you want a good and silent but pretty cheap cpu cooler? Then this is a winner: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+ - Newegg.com

install the cpu + any cooler before you mount the motherboard into the case. Expect slightly higher temperatures at the beginning, before the thermal paste on the cooler have settled. Takes about a week or 2.

Get an antistatic wristlet! Static electrisity, can harm the hardware.
Thanks! I don't mind the cooler being cheap, as long as it works and does its job. Also, what is this "Antistatic wristlet" you talk about?

Windows 8.1 uses less resources and is speedier than Windows 7. It's a much better OS once you get past the whole annoying ass metro crap. Just download windows 7 classic shell and you're good to go. Runs just like 7 with the speed of 8 (insanely fast boots and shutdowns) not to mention future proofing, better/newer features (background stuff mainly), better resource management, and that awesome windows task manager!

Windows 8.1 uses less resources and is speedier than Windows 7. It's a much better OS once you get past the whole annoying ass metro crap. Just download windows 7 classic shell and you're good to go. Runs just like 7 with the speed of 8 (insanely fast boots and shutdowns) not to mention future proofing, better/newer features (background stuff mainly), better resource management, and that awesome windows task manager!

I totally agree with this, After using Windows 8 for the last 5-6 months I love it. Now back to the topic at hand, I'd go for the build you suggested and a bigger hard drive other than that it looks good..

Thanks guys but from the 3 different types of builds I provided on top, which one should I go with?

If limited to only the listed options, number two is probably your most complete choice.

If not, I would go with choice #1, scrap the cooler, add a DVD drive and call it good.

I would go with #1, however I would not go with the 650D. Even thought it's an amazing case, it's also very outdated. Well over 3 years old. I would also go with a Western Digital Black over Blue, quite a lot faster for not much more money.

The cases I would recommend to you.

450D

Define R4

H440

All of these cases are amazing choices, and they costs less than a 650D as well.

Link to the Western Digital Black

Back
Top Bottom