Buying a gaming desktop

Dendimon

Solid State Member
Hey there, I'm getting a new computer and I wanted to ask if that gaming rig is good (All the parts are being purchased from Newegg):

CASE:
ImageProxy.mvc

ROSEWILL | THOR V2-White Edition,THOR V2-W Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case 149.99$
MOBO:
ImageProxy.mvc

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX Intel Motherboard 249.99$
RAM:
ImageProxy.mvc

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory 169.99$
CPU:
ImageProxy.mvc

Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor 234.99$
GPU:
ImageProxy.mvc

XFX Black Edition Double D Radeon R9 280X R9-280X-TDBD Video Cardhttp://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814150690 349.99$
PSU:
ImageProxy.mvc

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 220-P2-1000-XR 1000W Power Supply 219.99$

A very good choice of case and motherboard, however the Maximus 7 Hero is a very high end motherboard. If you don't take advantage of the features it will be a waste of money.

That is incredibly outdated RAM. Very slow speed, way overpriced for 8GB. I recommend much more modern RAM. This is very nice and affordable RAM.

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL - Newegg.com

Great choice for a gaming CPU, however if you intend to use the Maximus 7 Hero's features; them go with a 4690K so you can overclock it.

Also a good choice on video card, nothing to say here.

The power supply is way overkill unless you're planning to have crossfire later. 1000W it way to much for what you will be using.

I dont really know anything about the maximus 7 hero features. im buying that pc for my son so it will run everything smoothly for him and i wont have to buy another pc after a year

Yeah, really any Asus motherboard will last at least 3 years. (As long as it doesn't have starting issues.) So you could save some money and get a cheaper, but yet almost as good for half the price. I decided to make an altered Pcpartpicker list for you.

Intel Core i5-4690K, Asus Radeon R9 280X, Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black - System Build - PCPartPicker

Notice it's a lot cheaper. The reason for that is because I saved money on the case, power supply, and RAM. It's just as high quality, and I put in an aftermarket CPU cooler; if he ever want's to overclock.

Yeah Craigs build is a way better build.

I'll add that cases are very much a personal opinion. If your son wants a power house PC that also looks like it has some horse power, i think he will be disappointed in the case Craig have chosen. I'll choose something else.
What about this one? It's 20 bucks more. But looks like it cost double as much
NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (CA-PH410-W1) - PCPartPicker

Also note that while the system has been improved (and decreased in price. good job craig) the power efficiency has decreased with that Power supple.
You are going from an impressive Platinum validated PSU down to a only bronze.
The PSU he chose is not bad at all, but it's just nothing compared to the one you chose before.
How about this one?
it's a gold validated PSU. It looks much the same but it has an extra 50W and is Gold Validated. That for only 15 bucks more. Well worth it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cs650m

Last edited:
Yeah about the power supply and case. The reason why I didn't go with a platinum power supply is that most people don't really care. To them as long as it's reliable, it's fine. But yeah in the end go with the gold validated PSU.

The reason why I didn't go with the 410, is because in my opinion I always like simple cases. Much more so than a case that looked liked it's purpose was to show off. I would actually go with this case.

Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout with Window ATX Mid Tower Case (FD-CA-DEF-R4-BLO-W) - PCPartPicker

Or if your son doesn't care about 5 and a quarter inch drive bays.

NZXT H440 (Red/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (CA-H440W-M1) - PCPartPicker

Thanks for the advice guys, he's gonna stick with the Rosewill THOR as a case. oh btw does the i5 4690K comes with a fan? or do I have to buy one myself? also do you have any motherboards suggestions?

it does come with a fan. And it's good enough for default clock speeds.
In case he in the future wants to overclock the cooler craig suggested is properly the best cooler for the money on the market.
It's not too big, it's quiet, it performs decent and best off all it's cheap.

Craig already suggested a motherboard. I stand by it as a "all you need" solution.

---------- Post added at 12:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 AM ----------

btw. i can highly recommend the H440. I have it my self. It does not support 5 1/4 inch bays. but really... who needs them these days.
Get a USB dvd drive and you are all set.

Thanks, one last question: Do I have to install the Bios by myself? or it comes installed and I only have to install windows?

Thanks for the advice guys, he's gonna stick with the Rosewill THOR as a case. oh btw does the i5 4690K comes with a fan? or do I have to buy one myself? also do you have any motherboards suggestions?

All CPU's will come with stock fans and so will your case but a lot of people prefer to buy more well known fans for better performance and reliability otherwise you've got a solid build there. You shouldn't need to install the bios as it comes installed already I am pretty sure.

Anymore questions don't hesitate to comeback :)

Back
Top Bottom