Medical Marijuana

BK_123

Golden Master
So at the moment there is a lot of talk in Australia of getting marijuana legalized and sparking a lot of debate and there is a huge push for it. I am interested to know what every here thinks of the idea of legalizing drugs that are illegal for medical purposes. It has already shown great results and there is potential for it. It may even be the cure for cancer sufferers but who knows.

So at the moment there is a lot of talk in Australia of getting marijuana legalized and sparking a lot of debate and there is a huge push for it. I am interested to know what every here thinks of the idea of legalizing drugs that are illegal for medical purposes. It has already shown great results and there is potential for it. It may even be the cure for cancer sufferers but who knows.

Legalizing of Marijuana in Australia will not happen, the major parties will be too frightened to do it against public opinion, if any the public is demanding more penalties for drug use, I think you have been listening to the greens or choofing too much.

I'm not sure about Australia, but in the US there has been a lot of decriminalization over the years regarding Marijuana. There are a lot of claims that it is great and a cure all. The science does not back this up. There are benefits that have been seen, but not the cure all that some make it out to be.
What does seem to be true of the claims is that there are no known long term side effects. There are some mild ones I think, but nothing worse than alcohol. And the short term effects seem much more mild than alcohol. On another note, there is no known long term side effects for LSD either, and like Marijuana, it's not addictive. Although, the short term is much different for LSD.

If you're interested, here is some good reading on the science behind cannabis being the cure for cancer:
Cannabis, Cannabinoids and Cancer – The Evidence So Far | IFLScience

Probably worth mentioning that I have never used either of these drugs.

I'm not sure about Australia, but in the US there has been a lot of decriminalization over the years regarding Marijuana. There are a lot of claims that it is great and a cure all. The science does not back this up. There are benefits that have been seen, but not the cure all that some make it out to be.
What does seem to be true of the claims is that there are no known long term side effects. There are some mild ones I think, but nothing worse than alcohol. And the short term effects seem much more mild than alcohol. On another note, there is no known long term side effects for LSD either, and like Marijuana, it's not addictive. Although, the short term is much different for LSD.

If you're interested, here is some good reading on the science behind cannabis being the cure for cancer:
Cannabis, Cannabinoids and Cancer – The Evidence So Far | IFLScience

Probably worth mentioning that I have never used either of these drugs.

Marijuana has been proven to effect a persons mental capacity after long term use.

Marijuana has been proven to effect a persons mental capacity after long term use.

Me: Sound like a YP to me...
Else: "What's a YP?"
Me: Your Problem!

Personally, I think everything should be legal. Why not? If someone overdoses on Heroin... well it's probably better they're out of the gene pool anyway.

Criminalizing a personal choice is not the answer.

Colorado legalized Marijuana in 2012, became effective 1/1/2013, and the shops opened up 1/1/2014. In the first month, over $20 million was collected in taxes that will go to their public education system.

So little Johnny smokes too much and then his brain is toast... again, poor little Johnny for making poor life decisions. It shouldn't be the job of the federal government, or any government for that matter, to protect people from themselves and their stupid choices.

Sure, I use every now and then (border town w/Colorado), and don't have any issues. It's a recreational kind of thing and IMHO much less impacting than alcohol. So alcohol is legal (which causes THOUSANDS of deaths each year), but not marijuana, which causes no deaths each year.

Again, everything should be legal. People should have to face the consequences of their decisions, regardless of how heavy that price is.

Sure, I use every now and then (border town w/Colorado), and don't have any issues. It's a recreational kind of thing and IMHO much less impacting than alcohol. So alcohol is legal (which causes THOUSANDS of deaths each year), but not marijuana, which causes no deaths each year.

This is one of the things that used to annoy me the few times I have used .My friends and I could sit at home ,smoke some marijuana get stoned , order some pizza and fall asleep in our chairs without harming anybody or putting anybody in immediate danger and the state says no that is illegal you cant do that .
But My same friends and I could go out into the city center , get totally wasted and then step out in front of a car and seriously hurt ourselves because we dont have the same perception of danger we had when sober (true story happened to someone I know ) .or get into fights or just generally cause a nuisance of ourselves and make the city center an undesirable place to go after dark for people that dont want to drink until they can barely stand up . We then end up in hospital at the cost of the state (we have free healthcare in the UK ) .

I am aware that some studies have shown a risk to mental health in people that regularly use , especially if they regularly use especially in Adolescents but that isn't conclusive . Even if you do buy that it can cause mental health problems that is only from regular use and anybody that regularly uses any substance be it alcohol , nicotine even caffeine is going to suffer from some adverse medical effects and should be helped with their substance abuse problems . But the frequency that I used it as a recreational drug has never effected me even years later , nor any of my friends

The USA does have stronger arguments for legalization than we do over in the Uk.As you have private medical care so if you mess yourself up taking drugs that's your problem to sort out .

I cant use anymore because I have a really good safety critical job that includes the possibility of having a random drug test and id rather have the £££ than my job than take marijuana .

Legalizing marijuana?

Dunno but, doesn't the world have enough car accidents already?

Wait, does it mean legalizing it to be used to smoke like tobacco?

Dunno but, doesn't the world have enough car accidents already?

...?

You've obviously never driven under the influence [of marijuana]. I have not had a ticket or 'moving violation' in almost 6 years (used to be a speed demon), and would say that I believe I'm an even better driver while high. You're so paranoid that you obey every. single. traffic law. Don't believe the propaganda they show about high people running over kids and what not, that's just not true. I won't condone driving under the influence by any means because it affects everyone differently, but I honestly do not think it impairs driving to the point of making the driver dangerous.

Wait, does it mean legalizing it to be used to smoke like tobacco?

Well, any kind of consumption. In Colorado, one of the products that's really taking off are the edibles. They make smores chocolate bars that are laced with THC. So you take a small bite and you're set for hours... and it's a much different 'high' than consumption by smoking. Hell, they sell spaghetti sauce that... while not the greatest flavor... is comparable to some very potent smoke. Bad for parents if they let their teenagers cook dinner. My brother-in-law cooked dinner for his parents one night and as a joke used that sauce. That was quite the interesting night.

Back on topic: Check this article out. The little girl in the story is the daughter of an acquaintance, and they see medical marijuana as a 'gift from God.' She couldn't function at all and they were powerless to help before they tried medical marijuana (well, an extract of it... read the article).

Last edited:
Even as a proponent for legalization I dont suddenly think it is okay to just get high and drive about stoned . IPWN It might not have effected you that much but i never felt safe to get behind the wheel when I used and think as a general rule if it is Legalized it should still be restricted so anybody behind the wheel of a car under the influence gets in a world of trouble .

Even as a proponent for legalization I dont suddenly think it is okay to just get high and drive about stoned . IPWN It might not have effected you that much but i never felt safe to get behind the wheel when I used and think as a general rule if it is Legalized it should still be restricted so anybody behind the wheel of a car under the influence gets in a world of trouble .

Absolutely agree, hence the "won't condone" part. I try to avoid operating anything except a game console when under the influence; in context though, I felt it a good point to mention (especially in contrast to the impairment of alcohol).

In Denver (capital of Colorado, and probably other places), the police have a nose sniffer that can measure the current intoxication level. They treat those drivers the same as a drunk driver. DUI and life is over.
Link

Back
Top Bottom