Computing Controlled Assessment

ResearcherGuy14

Beta member
For my computing contolled asessment I need to do research one of the ways recommended is using forums. How effective is high level or textual programming (such as Python or C++)?

How effective is high level or textual programming
What do you mean by effective? Effective as in easy to write code that compiles, easy to write bug free code, effective to learn for beginners, effective to learn for experts, something else entirely?

And just as importantly, effective compared to what?

Your research question needs to be much more specific before it can be answered properly :)

Mainly how concise and precise it is to code but any other points of view would useful. This is for both high level/ textual programming (like Python and C++) and block programming(like Scratch and BYOB).

Last edited:
Mainly how concise and precise it is to code but any other points of view would useful. This is for both high level/ textual programming (like Python and C++) and block programming(like Scratch and BYOB).

Well block based languages will almost always be less concise than textual languages, since by design they're aimed to be easy to use above all other factors. By comparison text based languages will trump scratch / BYOB in every other factor - scalability, flexibility, conciseness, efficiency of writing (I can type on a keyboard much more quickly than I can drag various blocks to various places), almost always efficiency of speed, and so on. That's not to say block based languages suck - for younger children especially, the more visual aspect is an absolute winner when teaching them programming; they'd just fall apart when using a text based language.

In short, block based languages are generally designed to be easy to use (especially for young children) and everything else comes (at best) second. Generally speaking, textual languages trump them in every other way.

Back
Top Bottom