Choosing laptops

(Moved from programming to hardware since this isn't a programming question per-se - I think you'll get more answers here!)

Realistically, what types of games are you hoping to play, and what settings will you consider "good enough" when you're running your games? Do you have a target FPS in mind?

The second asus or the novatech 1737 are the best choices here spec wise. However it also depends on if you plan on moving this laptop around or intend to have it as a desktop replacement. If you plan on taking it with you to class, a 17 inch laptop is going to be quite cumbersome and may not be ideal.

Realistically, what types of games are you hoping to play, and what settings will you consider "good enough" when you're running your games? Do you have a target FPS in mind?

Lets say BF4 on Ultra (I read that ASUS laptop can take that and run with 40-60 FPS no problem)

---------- Post added at 05:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 AM ----------

Yes I plan to travel with this laptop on daily bases

---------- Post added at 05:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 AM ----------

I like what ASUS did with the cooling system plus I will add SSD for OS and RAM as you suggested

I'd go for the ASUS as you can expand the ram to 32GB if need be.

That'd be pretty expensive. Almost completely unrealistically expensive, actually.

The second asus or the novatech 1737 are the best choices here spec wise. However it also depends on if you plan on moving this laptop around or intend to have it as a desktop replacement. If you plan on taking it with you to class, a 17 inch laptop is going to be quite cumbersome and may not be ideal.

This. Please, please consider a desktop solution if you're paying this chunk of change--more on this in a moment.

Lets say BF4 on Ultra (I read that ASUS laptop can take that and run with 40-60 FPS no problem)

I'm seeing ~27-28 FPS on Ultra on a few sites I'm looking at. Scroll down on these two site links to see.

GTX 770M
GTX 860M

The question which one of those would you take or have your own alternatives.

I wouldn't be buying a laptop this expensive. I would get a really great desktop solution (bang-for-your-buck) and buy a cheap alternative to a laptop (such as a Chromebook, or a tablet + Bluetooth keyboard) to take to class for notes and such. But, it's youre prerogative. If you really want the versatility, go for it. Just know you are paying through the nose for that portability. Just remember how bulky that laptop is going to be to carry around, and your battery life probably won't be that great.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom