CPU Upgrade Question?

BK_123

Golden Master
Hey all. So I've finally found a CPU that is compatible with my current motherboard. Its the Core 2 Duo E4700 and before purchasing I was looking at the specs and it said Lithography 65 nm where as my current CPU is 45nm. Does this matter as I've never upgraded a CPU before and just wanted to make sure that wouldn't be a problem.

New CPU Specs: ARK | Intel® Coreâ„¢2 Duo Processor E4700 (2M Cache, 2.60 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)

Current CPU Specs: ARK | Intel® Pentium® Processor E5300 (2M Cache, 2.60 GHz, 800 MHz FSB)

Motherboard Specs: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Product/Product_Detail.aspx?DetailID=897&MenuID=16

what a waste of money.
It doesn't look like you are gonna gain any performance.... you might actually decrease in performance.

it actually looks like your current CPU has a newer architecture called Wolfdale.
That specific core 2 due has an architecture called Allendale. witch is older than wolfdale. Hents the bigger transistors (65nm vs 45nm)
other then that they are both dual cores and runs at 2,6 with 2mb cache.

Don't "upgrade" Your current cpu is better, pentium or not. If you want to upgrade just get a whole new computer.

As others have said, all the information I can find suggests the 5300 is slightly *better* than the 4700 (albeit slightly) - so you're spending money for a slight downgrade!

I was looking at the specs and it said Lithography 65 nm where as my current CPU is 45nm
It doesn't matter in terms of the socket, but since lower is generally better in this case, that again points to a downgrade!

Thanks all for the feedback. Yes from all the research I've done my current Pentium Dual Core CPU seems to be better but can be slow when just browsing the web or finding files. I think my money would be better spent on some more ram or maybe finding a more updated version of the CPU.

As a comparison, the Celeron G540 (Sandy Bridge) at 2.5ghz walks all over both of those CPUs. I had one before upgrading to an i3. That's to show that your CPU is way dated and the Celeron is dated too though it's a socket 1155.

By the way, the Celeron G540 is only $50.

Just get a new computer. Seriously.

At the moment I am not in the position to get a new computer. I don't use this desktop often as I don't have a permanent space to have it setup and my ASUS laptop is my main machine. I'd like to have a desktop setup for a bit more power. I do plan to upgrade once I can afford it.

At the moment I am not in the position to get a new computer. I don't use this desktop often as I don't have a permanent space to have it setup and my ASUS laptop is my main machine. I'd like to have a desktop setup for a bit more power. I do plan to upgrade once I can afford it.

Fair enough good sir. :angel:

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 PM ----------

Or as you aussies might say fair dinkum. :)

Back
Top Bottom