Should I buy a new computer?

If you aren't comfortable with doing it yourself Tigerdirect may offer to build it for you at an small extra cost.

I would get windows 7 I put it on my moms 8yo XPS 400 and it runs fine. but if you wan't a new PC I wouldn't buy one I always prefer to build cause of the limitations when buying from a big company such as Dell or HP

BikerEcho,

OK, I know now, I hadn't seen the last posting by jmcavalli.

Another thing I forgot is that it roars up a lot.

I think I'll try the SDD n Lubuntu.

BikerEcho,

Lubuntu sounds good. But what's an SSD?

Read this.

Short for Solid-State Drive or Solid-State Disk, SSD is a drive that uses non-volatile memory as a means of storing and accessing data, much like computer RAM. Unlike other storage devices such as hard drives, an SSD has no moving parts, which gives it advantages such as accessing stored information faster, produces no noise, often more reliable, and consume much less power than the traditional hard drive (HDD) found in computers. The picture shows a Crucial SSD and is an example of what a SSD looks like. - See here What is SSD (Solid-State Drive)?

ssd.jpg

Dev893,

Windows 7? Would this be better than Lubuntu?

BK 123,

Thanks for the link. Apparently, I would have to use it in conjunction with the standard hard drive I already have. How would I put this SSD in?

Dev893,

Windows 7? Would this be better than Lubuntu?

BK 123,

Thanks for the link. Apparently, I would have to use it in conjunction with the standard hard drive I already have. How would I put this SSD in?
Really it all depends on what the PC is used for. If you want to do light gaming on it I would go windows since a lot of games aren't supported by Linux but if it's just for web surfing and stuff like that Lubuntu will be fine

BK 123,

You need to do the following:

• Download Lubuntu and burn it to a disk
  • Make a backup of all your important files
  • turn off the computer and plug out the old harddrive.
  • Toss it away because it's old and worn out
  • Plugin your new shiny SSD
  • Install Lubuntu (need any help with this step, feel free to ask)
  • check if Java, flash player, sound and internet works (ask if something is wrong)
  • Enjoy

Lubuntu will run way smoother than windows 7 on that system. You will have to get use to it though. give yourself a change to adapt to it.
Hope you are not depended on micro$oft office. That isn't supported on Linux.
There are however better and FREE alternatives. Like Libre office (comes pre installed) and Google Drive
you can always find alternatives to windows only programs.

Dev893,
I don't do gaming, so it's for websurfing.

BikerEcho,
But the link says the SSD is not suitable for replacing a standard computer's hard drive.

Back
Top Bottom