Storage Harddrive not showing in My Computer

yuriynyr1

Solid State Member
Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1
New Drive: WD 1TB
Storage Drive: WD Black 1TB

Hey guys, I got a new Hard Drive so I installed windows and motherboard drivers on it. Everything is working fine but it is not detecting my 1TB storage drive when I go into My Computer. It does detect another 3TB storage drive though which doesn't make sense.

The storage drive is detected in BIOS, and also, when I took out my new drive and replaced it with my older drive with windows installed on it, the storage drive shows up... I did this just in case to see if the drive was working properly.

This motherboard although I like it, tends to act a bit funky. Also previously, the old storage drive was connected via SATA 6.0 on my previous windows install. Now I have my current drive connected in SATA 6.0 as well as another 3TB storage drive which showed up just fine right from the start. The drive I'm having problems with is now connected into SATA 3.0 port... maybe this is the problem?

I am guessing on a new windows installed drive, I need to reformat that storage drive to make it work but then I will lose nearly 1TB of important document files.. so is there anyway to fix this with a driver or something? I read somewhere I need to install a controller chip driver, whatever that means. I installed all drivers from the motherboard CD so I doubt I missed something.

Here is the link to the motherboard drivers:
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Drivers and Download P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1)

Thanks, Yuriy.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. The thing is, this storage drive works with my old harddrive of an older windows...plugged the same way, with the same cable. no issues.

Once I use my new drive with a fresh windows install (replacing the old drive with older windows) it doesnt show up.

I am thinking I need to log back into the old drive windows, backup my storage drive, delete it's partition, and then create a new one while using the newer drive with windows... if that makes sense.

I'll see what happens, I just figured I could have solved this with less hassle

Had the same problem myself you just need to format the drive before you can use it for data.

Right-Click on the My Computer icon either on your desktop or in the Start Menu and select Manage.

A new window titled Computer Management comes up.
Select Storage from the left hand side by clicking it once, then select Disk Management(local) from the right side by double-clicking it. Find your new drive and format it with one large partition.

First you partition - do a primary partition if you want only one partition on the hard drive. Then you format the partition - again right click and select format use NTSF - use default allocation size and give the new volume a label (no spaces allowed in the name).

Got it to work finally, thanks rowcon.

I put my old drive with windows since it was the only way to detect the storage drive, so I just deleted the volume in disk management and created a new volume after placing back my new drive.

I still don't know why it wouldn't work from the start though because my other old storage drives worked fine. Strange.

Back
Top Bottom