Should I buy a new computer?

Wired Earp

Baseband Member
Microsoft says Windows XP is no longer supported so that my computer is vulnerable--I didn't notice this before so it's been a few or several months--and that I should either get Windows 8 or buy a new computer. I can't get Windows 8. My Dell Dimension 3100 is 8 years old n it may not be workiing well, but money is a problem.

That PC is getting very old and since Windows XP is no longer supported you might as well get a new PC. But like you said money can be an issue, so I'd like to know what your budget is.

Craig Prince,

The situation is that I can afford something that invovles a considerable amount only if really necessary. I can aford a portable but only if i really need a new computer.

BikerEcho,

What about security issues?

If you are thinking about viruses don't worry.
It gets less viruses and spyware than mac. Reason you might ask. Simple, it's market share are between 1-2%.
No cyber criminal want to put afford into program viruses for unpopular operating systems.
Also most Linux users are very knowledge about IT and is not the kind of people cyber criminals are aiming for.

If your computer is 8 years old, and you need to use one everyday, then yes it's probably time for a new computer.

Are you looking to buy one or do you want to build one?
If you want to build, but don't feel confident about picking parts, then these kits are great.
This one is 50% off right now: LINK

This one is basically the same, but with more RAM: LINK

With that in mind, you will still need to buy an OS to put on them. You don't have to get Win8 - you can still get Win7.

Last edited:
If your computer is 8 years old, and you need to use one everyday, then yes it's probably time for a new computer.

Are you looking to buy one or do you want to build one?
If you want to build, but don't feel confident about picking parts, then these kits are great.
This one is 50% off right now: LINK

This one is basically the same, but with more RAM: LINK

With that in mind, you will still need to buy an OS to put on them. You don't have to get Win8 - you can still get Win7.

I must agree, A kit is perfect in your case and if you will be doing is using it for basic tasks such as internet, emails and that sorta thing then I'd go for the kit.

Building it myself would be too complicated and cost about the sam e as a portable.

In any case, I don't know if my computer is working badly because it's old or becasue of the OS or if it's normal. It seems something goes wrong about every half hour. I often can't get out of websites, some of them have all kinds of problems, I often get the "can't be found" message, it's low in starting, taking about 3 minutes, I get a critical message for something just fixed, n now I'm getting a strange message when it starts up.

It's due to software issues.
If you have been running that system for 8 years without formatting it sure is time for a clean install.
Only component that should not be working as when you got it is your harddrivek. Harddrives gets slower over time.
If money is tight, get a new SSD and put Lubuntu on it. Your computer will feel 5 years newer.

Back
Top Bottom