Computer Temperature Problems

DriveBy

Solid State Member
My computer has shut off three times by itself without any power outages.After the third time I noticed the heatsink fan was turning too slowly.I swapped the fan with one from another computer and it turned slowly also.The power supply is putting out 12 volts through the yellow wires and 5 volts through the red wires.I checked BIOS and the fan was running at 750 RPMs.I switched off the ‘smart fan' allowing the fan to run continuously at 4500 RPMs, which is too loud for my purposes.The CPU temperature stays around 20C and the system temp is around 32C according to BIOS.When I enable the smart fan, the CPU temp and the system temp rises but the fan speed slightly decreases.I think I have eliminated the fan and the power supply as being the problem.I think the system temp is accurate but not the CPU temp.Any thoughts as to what is happening other than the CPU is failing?The computer is about 4 years old.Time to buy another one?EMachines EL1850G-42w Intel Celeron E3400 Windows7

You could buy a few more fans maybe one or two and add them to your computer as I doubt that it has enough fans. E-Machines are great as far as price is concerned but as far as quality is concerned they have a bad reputation for failing and not lasting as long. I certainly wouldn't get rid of it yet though try the extra fan and see if that works.

One type of fan that I really like is one that mounts under the hard drive as that is usually one of the few free spaces you have available. If you do get a new computer I suggest you build it yourself. The motherboard alone is warranted for Three years versus only one year for a pre-built computer.

You could buy a few more fans maybe one or two and add them to your computer as I doubt that it has enough fans. E-Machines are great as far as price is concerned but as far as quality is concerned they have a bad reputation for failing and not lasting as long. I certainly wouldn't get rid of it yet though try the extra fan and see if that works.

One type of fan that I really like is one that mounts under the hard drive as that is usually one of the few free spaces you have available. If you do get a new computer I suggest you build it yourself. The motherboard alone is warranted for Three years versus only one year for a pre-built computer.

+1 Emachines are awful computers sorry to say it. But don't give up on it yet.

OK, a few more days have passed and the computer continues to shut itself off after it idles and goes into sleep mode. It has never shut down while I was operating it. So, now I'm thinking that overheating did not cause the computer to shut itself off. When I leave the computer running while not using it for several minutes, the screen goes blank (as it should). Then some minutes later the fan stops running. Some more minutes later, the computer shuts itself off. The shut down shouldn't be caused by overheating, so what could cause it to shut down?

There is still a problem with the fan, though, because when I put it in 'smart' mode it only runs at 720 to 750 RPMs. I'm assuming the CPU regulates the fan speed. The CPU temp is around 20C, which is basically room temperature. So, I'm assuming the CPU is giving false temperatures and is also not controlling the fan speed correctly.

I used to build my own computers but this one was cheap and has served me well.

It sounds like it is going into sleep or hibernate.

Try turning these two options off and see what happens.

Several hours have passed and the computer runs fine. The fan still runs slow but the CPU heat sink doesn't even feel warm to the touch. I've been running it with the side panel removed. I'm sure now there never was an overheating problem. The problem was the computer shutting itself down after it went into sleep mode. Any ideas as to what would cause that?

What would cause what? It was doing what it was supposed to do. That's what sleep mode it. And if it was hibernating, that's even deeper sleep mode.

What would cause what? It was doing what it was supposed to do. That's what sleep mode it. And if it was hibernating, that's even deeper sleep mode.

Sorry if I'm not using the correct terminology. What I meant when I said the computer shut down, was that it turned itself off completely. I had to push the power button to restart it. Then I would be asked if I wanted to start normally or in safe mode since the computer did not shut down correctly. Any ideas as to what would cause the computer to shut off the power to itself? It's run now continuously since yesterday morning with no problems, since I changed the settings for it to not sleep or hibernate.

Sleep and hibernate on some machines doesn't pay nice. Something to do with the bios they use. Sounds like you got one of those machines.

You may after 4 years use with that machine, want to consider getting one that's technically up to date. There's prebuilts that are fairly nice and don't break the bank. Check with Newegg.

Back
Top Bottom