Another US School Shooting

And why is everyone focusing on the shooting part? He killed 3 people with knives and drove other others. He clearly didn't need one to carry out his plans.

Legislation to allow the police to check up on those with mental health issues easier. More authority to institutionalize people. Recently a man shot up a naval yard in DC and a woman ran a barricade near the Capitol building. Both were KNOWN to have severe mental problems. The woman had told people that she had dangerous thoughts of committing violent acts. The guy who shot the navy yard had a previous incidence of violence as well possessed an unpermitted gun. So why didn't we do anything about it? THAT'S the issue. Put these people in a mental asylum. Get them the help they need.

In the current state of world affairs, a law to pluck people thought to be having mental issues off the street or their homes would be blatantly abused by the government itself. It would be a lame excuse to remove those that didn't follow blindly the orders of the governing party. Right now as it stands you have to be tested and brought before a judge. Not just plucked off the street and thrown in to an institution.
Sure there's those that need help and do they do cry out for it in their own way. And there's some real nut cases out there that wind up making the headlines. But if we enact laws giving the government absolute power over us, it's no longer a free country. It's anarchy.

And as for being less concerned for privacy rights, what planet you from? People have fought and died protecting your right to privacy among other rights. It's a fracking free country. When you start chipping away at our freedoms, you give some one else the right to run your life. Not mine. No sir. I have given my time and my blood fighting to defend those very freedoms.
Don't spout such nonsense in the presents of a Veteran. You just might not like what happens next, trust me. I'm a Veteran.

Last edited:
I understand what you're saying. I'm not suggesting the government just do what they want and take any person they suspect of having mental issues off the street. That would be KGB/Gestapoesque. What I'm saying is don't ignore the obvious issue. Check up on people. Give the government more leeway in this effort but carefully legislate it. Put checks and balances in. Most police I know are familiar with the homeless people in the area of the city they operate. Set up a system such that these people are accounted for, checked on, and given care if they need it (some cities are starting to adopt programs that do this but they aren't government funded or operated). I see homeless people who have very obvious mental illnesses and we leave them there. Get them tested and put them somewhere if they can't be by themselves. Its for their own safety and wellbeing as well as ours.

Like you said you test them and bring them before a judge. That's fine. But how many people do we do that for? I'm not saying that we just pick them up, throw them in an asylum, and lock away the key. But let's test more people! For those who aren't homeless we need to be more careful as well. All I really want is for us to do something. Are we just going to let these things keep happening and not do anything because "we don't want to step on people's toes or intrude on their rights"? Is that ok? Like it or not the government knows everything about you more or less (patriot act, NSA probes yadda yadda). So use that info then. Its been somewhat effective in flagging potential threats but if the NSA already has this info then use it for something more. Let the police check up on people who report someone as suspicious. Better safe than sorry. Don't ignore "problem" people. Monitor them. Don't go overboard like Big Brother or something but just respond more proactively to certain red flags.

I simply hate reading these articles and seeing nothing done about it. They keep happening and nothing changes.

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 AM ----------

Maybe set up something akin to an old folks home for the mentally unsound. Have people who watch them and care for them. The US doesn't take care of its mentally ill population very well and we need a system to improve that.

And why is everyone focusing on the shooting part? He killed 3 people with knives and drove other others. He clearly didn't need one to carry out his plans.

Because that is the title of this subject or am I wrong.:facepalm:

I can see your point tho.

In the current state of world affairs, a law to pluck people thought to be having mental issues off the street or their homes would be blatantly abused by the government itself. It would be a lame excuse to remove those that didn't follow blindly the orders of the governing party. Right now as it stands you have to be tested and brought before a judge. Not just plucked off the street and thrown in to an institution.
Sure there's those that need help and do they do cry out for it in their own way. And there's some real nut cases out there that wind up making the headlines. But if we enact laws giving the government absolute power over us, it's no longer a free country. It's anarchy.

And as for being less concerned for privacy rights, what planet you from? People have fought and died protecting your right to privacy among other rights. It's a fracking free country. When you start chipping away at our freedoms, you give some one else the right to run your life. Not mine. No sir. I have given my time and my blood fighting to defend those very freedoms.
Don't spout such nonsense in the presents of a Veteran. You just might not like what happens next, trust me. I'm a Veteran.

How do you come to the conclusion of anarchy?

You are a veteran, what does happens next?

Because that is the title of this subject or am I wrong.:facepalm:

I can see your point tho.

It is not only the title of this thread, but the title in most news agencies. This is different from other "mass shootings" because roughly half of the deaths in this case were not from a gun at all yet those are the only deaths being cried out against

I don't know the exact numbers off the top of my head but there was a total of 6 or 7 deaths with 3 being gun-related, does this mean in our society killing someone with a car (did that person die?) or stabbing them is less of a murder than killing them with a gun? Kind of a rhetorical question, but good food for thought IMO.

I understood that the suspect was having mental problems!

I keep hearing this same thing with so many cases!

I have a strange feeling that either the media or the court, or both, play something here!

I have a strange feeling that either the media or the court, or both, play something here!

Both are likely at play in my opinion. If you're a low-life who thinks no one cares or knows who you are and you see people like Adam Lanza still talked about long after the shooting on an almost daily basis doing the same kind of terrible acts looks more and more tempting.

Also, our courts here (at least in my part of Wisconsin) don't throw the book hard enough at people who do commit gun crimes. Every day I see in the news some criminal who's being arrested for their 5th+ gun offence (felon in possession, which is illegal) and every time they are let out after serving just months in jail instead of the years that the law allows them to go away for. Some punishment, eh?

Both are likely at play in my opinion. If you're a low-life who thinks no one cares or knows who you are and you see people like Adam Lanza still talked about long after the shooting on an almost daily basis doing the same kind of terrible acts looks more and more tempting.

Also, our courts here (at least in my part of Wisconsin) don't throw the book hard enough at people who do commit gun crimes. Every day I see in the news some criminal who's being arrested for their 5th+ gun offence (felon in possession, which is illegal) and every time they are let out after serving just months in jail instead of the years that the law allows them to go away for. Some punishment, eh?

That is the problem of western nations, we are too lenient plus the mighty cost of the dollar prohibits locking all crims away.

The thing I hate most is that when a criminal gets a sentence the sentence will be reduced because they have hope of rehabilitation but dont' worry about the victim as they are treated as nothing, sounds bit harsh but this is true.

Back
Top Bottom