Brand new laptop keeps spinning up CD drive?

Comp_Pro

In Runtime
Hi all

I purchased a laptop a few hours ago. All is running good, however for some reason the cd drive keeps checking to see if a disk is there. You know how when you shut your CD drive with no disk, your PC does a quick spin up of the CD drive to make sure its empty? Well my laptop is doing that, every 5 minutes or so.

Not quite sure how to stop it from doing so, any suggestions would be helpful!

Does anyone have any suggestions on things I could to in order to stop this for happening? I am happy to contact tech support, but that should be as a last resort.

I'm curious why you think it should be your last resort as opposed to your first. If you had contacted tech support first instead of posting on this forum, your problem may have very well been fixed already.

When you buy a new laptop, tech support is one of the things that's included in the price. Why not take advantage of it?

I certainly would call tech support first too. I imagine though that there is a short somewhere that is making the drive keep on running. Since it is new though I wouldn't touch it unless they tell you otherwise.

It's brand new and not working. Tech support is the first place to call and get it fixed. There's no reason for it to be not working out of the box, and they need to fix it.

I won't be able to get it seen for about 2 weeks. Don't want to wait that long because it is annoying to hear it spin up every 10 minutes or so.

Could anyone please help me.

I suspect you have a bad drive. If you don't want to listen to it spin up, why don't you remove the drive? There's usually just a single screw that needs to be removed and the optical drive will slide right out.

Have you ran an anti virus program? Viruses can keep things going although in your case I think it is a short. In any event I would at least try the free version of SuperAntiSpyware available here SUPERAntiSpyware | Remove Malware | Remove Spyware - AntiMalware, AntiSpyware, AntiAdware! . That should eliminate the software issue. Any software written for the drive though shouldn't do that unless it has malicious code written into it. SuperAntiSpyware can find anything malicious and has solved all of my malware problems.

Back
Top Bottom