Can I plug this PCI USB3 into anyone of my PCI slots

stevethebrain

In Runtime

Currently I'm only using two of my PCI slots w/ a TV tuner
I would like to use the remaining slots 1. for USB 3. and another 2nd. slot for adding a couple SATA ports.

I attach image of the MOBO intel H57.I see one long black PCI slot which is unused

Two small white PCI slots both are being used w/ a TV tuner and a WIFI adaptor.(woops WIFI adaptor is'nt being used so the second short white PCI slot is unused)

And one long white PCI slot which is unused.note my MOBO is USB 2 so will a USB external HDD actualley transfer ten times faster?

also will I be able to plug another PCI card for additional SATA ports into either the long white or long black unused PCI slots

Mediasonic HP1-SU3 PCI Express USB 3.0 ProBox Card - Newegg.com

Last edited:

Currently I'm only using two of my PCI slots w/ a TV tuner
I would like to use the remaining slots 1. for USB 3. and another 2nd. slot for adding a couple SATA ports.

I attach image of the MOBO intel H57.I see one long black PCI slot which is unused

Two small white PCI slots both are being used w/ a TV tuner and a WIFI adaptor.(woops WIFI adaptor is'nt being used so the second short white PCI slot is unused)

And one long white PCI slot which is unused.note my MOBO is USB 2 so will a USB external HDD actualley transfer ten times faster?

also will I be able to plug another PCI card for additional SATA ports into either the long white or long black unused PCI slots

Mediasonic HP1-SU3 PCI Express USB 3.0 ProBox Card - Newegg.com

What image?
As for external USB being faster than 2.0, don't hold your breath. What you're doing is a waste of money...

What image? :mad:

Just kidding :D

Any PCI-E card should work on any PCI-E slot even if it is the one for the video card!

The problem is in the bandwidth. USB3 reach a max of 4GBit/s (500MB/s) and That USB3 card is 2X which means on a PCI-E gen 3 only it will be able to use both ports with full speed in the same time. On PCI-E gen 2, it works full speed for a single port only or capped to half if both are used in the same time!

I agree too that card should be able to go into any PCI-E slot. The only concern I mainly have is how many different cards you currently have on your motherboard. Will your psu be able to handle everything at once? I think if you only use those occasionally then yes the psu will be fine but if you use that often and other things at the same time you might want to upgrade to a higher wattage. I like having at least 500 watts.

Such cards don't consume much power. As long as the PSU can handle the tough stuff like high-end video cards, with something like 150-200 watts extra (depending on the number of other parts), such cards can be handled at any activity!

The card in the link is a PCI-e card. The white slot he describes is PCI. They are not compatible.

Back
Top Bottom