Another US School Shooting

He was severely disturbed. There's no other way around it. He needed to be institutionalized yet we don't do that anymore (or at least we are very hesitant to do it) because of disastrous treatment of people in insane asylums from the 30's to 60's. But this person needed serious help which he didn't get and then this happens. I am so tired of this crap but it will never stop, so I've given up. No one will do anything about this. Nothing will change.

On another site that I frequent, there are at least two policeman and a few others talking about gun control a lot. One of the coppers and another user advocate everybody getting tooled up. Obviously not being American, I would have no idea if your sidewalks feel safer or not. The guy needed a lot of help, but being able to get hold of a Sig and a Glock is just crazy. Serious hardware like that should not be freely available. Don't get it personally.

There is a always going to be the issue regarding gun control or guns in general.

Not really, just restrict the type of weapons used in the community, here in Australia the average firearm owner cannot own or use a semi automatic weapon unless you are a primary producer (farmer) or professional hunter which you must provide a genuine reason for having one.
Automatic weapons is completely banned for anyone.
Owning a Hand gun is very restrictive and subjected to stringent controls, mainly target shooting or security employment

The last shooting massacre was in Port Arthur in 1996 in your home state Tasmania, this lead to dramatic gun ownership law changes in Australia, another country United Kingdom also made some significant gun law changes to restrict ownership.

Gun laws can be changed for the better for community safety.

PS: Australia has had no mass shootings since Port Arthur in 1996.

You have 23 million people. We have 315 million people.
You don't have a bill of rights. We have a bill of rights, granting the 'right to bear arms'.
You don't have a bunch of back-water, red-necked, hillbillies (and I mean that in the best possible way). We do, and they want their guns.

Your government was able to enact those laws. Ours never would be able to.

You have 23 million people. We have 315 million people.
You don't have a bill of rights. We have a bill of rights, granting the 'right to bear arms'.
You don't have a bunch of back-water, red-necked, hillbillies (and I mean that in the best possible way). We do, and they want their guns.

Your government was able to enact those laws. Ours never would be able to.

The right to bear guns! From who? Your selves!

The problem with your country is your bill of rights is probably out dated in these ever changing times where your crime wave is at epidemic proportions.

The right to bear guns! From who? Your selves!

The problem with your country is your bill of rights is probably out dated in these ever changing times where your crime wave is at epidemic proportions.

Yes for ourselves, for everything from hunting to self defense.

Our bill of rights was written to make it timeless which is why twitter and the internet can fall under free speech even though it wasn't anywhere close to being imagined back in the late 1700s.

And FYI, we do not have a crime wave. Crime is actually going down according to FBI crime stats, the media is just picking up everything more and more to fill a 24-hour news cycle.

Whether any country has the right to bear arms constitutionally does not ease the problems. In fact if lunatics are are determined to get fire arms, they will do. In the UK we recently had our own lunatic in
Raoul Moat.

I really don't think that gun control actually really exists in its current form. Am I right in thinking that in one state, you could by a Browning, but not the same hardware in another state?

Let's not get into a gun control debate. Been there done that on this forum already. In this case, and in many others, the root of the problem is how we deal with the mentally unstable. Generally, we ignore problem people as long as they aren't actively breaking the law (even if people have complained about their behavior). Taking people in for mental issues is very delicate but needs to be streamlined. If someone is known to have issues (people reporting it), is not in therapy actively, and is not properly cared for, they should be taken for a psychiatric evaluation. Homeless people with severe mental issues should not be left to their own devices. And for christ's sake if someone calls the cops to check on a person's welfare, please have the cops go into the house and assess the situation. Frankly, we're too concerned with privacy rights. I understand the need for them but this is ridiculous. Something has to be done. Anything.

Legislation to allow the police to check up on those with mental health issues easier. More authority to institutionalize people. Recently a man shot up a naval yard in DC and a woman ran a barricade near the Capitol building. Both were KNOWN to have severe mental problems. The woman had told people that she had dangerous thoughts of committing violent acts. The guy who shot the navy yard had a previous incidence of violence as well possessed an unpermitted gun. So why didn't we do anything about it? THAT'S the issue. Put these people in a mental asylum. Get them the help they need.

Back
Top Bottom