W7 and Drivers...

CyclingSalmon14

Baseband Member
I need some help!

I just installed W7U, downgraded from windows 8,1 as its a nice OS but just won't surrport some of the programs I want to run and also run into some issues with the way it "sees" some USB devices." And I just overall like W7 more, OK no fancy metro tiles =( but I can live without them!

Now moving on, I have a unknown device and it won't install drivers correctly for my wireless dongal (I left it plugged in during installation oops!) And it won't see my android phone if I try to use it as a feather it just says unknown device, but will see it as a actual phone / USB storage device just fine when not trying to teather!

So I am not sure how to find the correct drivers, nornaly in would just download them from a mfg site, however as I don't know what the missing device is I can't!

Would you guys recommend some kind of driver solution programme? I'm not nornaly keen on these, preference to go get then drovers myself like I had to for the GPU.

If so what one would you recommend??? I think I might have to use one.

Cheers!

Regard to dongal any ideas? I did uninstall the drivers on the PC and plug back in but when they reinstall they don't work, so I have correct drivers but it just won't work =(

Phones is a non issue really, as I will be using hot spot not teather anyways.

Nope, wireless dongal worked on all other machine I have tried it on regardless of OS and worked on this one To when it was on 8.1

I left it in during install of W7 I think that's the issue as your meant to take everything bit leybored and mouse out =(

I just plugged it in to reinstall the drivers that are on the dongal, I guess I can try Google and see if I can find the drivers for the dongal but I would imagine they wouodnbe the same as the ones on it???

No you don't have to parts left out, Usually the drivers Windows would install work but not always. Nab the drivers from the manufacturers website then try.

Well I found out two of them but cant find the needed drivers and am still stuck on the unknown.

Most important one right now is wifi as I only have a limited amount of time I can access the cabled connection each day =(

Silly things set up on router as other kids in the house =(

Anyways I have no idea why I even need the live book one as I already have access to it (Its my NAS) and the unknown dose not seem to be having any adverse effect on my system atm.

But I am at a bit of a loss.

maybe you need USB drivers for your motherboard. Usually it doesn't matter and USB drivers isn't made for some boards (other than some USB utilities), but i have seen motherboards that came with a disk were USB drivers was present.

Btw... you actually like the metro UI?
Now that's something you don't hear every day.
Then why not just use Win8? I am thinking about changing to win8, but i'll install a third party start menu and skip all that Metro BS.
Doing that makes it look allot like windows 7, and it has faster bootup, DX12 support and a few wecome UI tweaks on the ExploreUI

Last edited:
Metro is not bad once used to is, and the tiles are a quick way to check Facebook and email ect, but tbh I could take them or leave them, I do like normal windows far more!

I just found when trying to do android stuff and other thing likei want to run virtual machine, its not the best, and genraly a lot more surrport for Windows 7 plus I don't like the way windows 8 handled my tablet and phone it never could see them as a phone on a USB stick, and often it would fail when updating ROMs and stuff, windows 7 no issues for me!

YMMV?

Anyways I was having some issues with W7 U, so have changed it to W7 Pro.

I'll likely still have the same missing drivers but we shall see, USB drovers could be a good idea!

Its annoying though, I'll see how it goes when I'm done installing Windows 7 Pro.

Back
Top Bottom