Amd a6-6400k

Transk53

Baseband Member
Hopefully by late British summer time, I will be in a position to scratch up a Rig. My budget is going to be quite lame by my personal standard. However with todays standard of tech, I would imagine I will get more bang per buck. I would love to be able to slot a powerful GPU in the budget, but I probably will not one. Reason being is that my love of the FPS pretty much died when CoD went modern. The only thing modern on the drive these days is the Football Manager series. This is what the machine will be primariliy used for. Along with the usual browsingf and streaming.

These are the minimum specs for the current iteration of the game. FM 15 I would not think will be much higher and the game is still CPU tied with a attached Match Engine.

Code:
[I]PC System Requirements
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 Intel Core AMD Athlon XP: 1.6GHz+ V/7/8: 2.2GHz+ 
Memory: 1 GB RAM 
Graphics: NVidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra ATI Radeon 9800 Intel GMA X3100 128MB VRAM 
DirectX: Version 9.0c 
Network: Broadband Internet connection 
Hard Drive: 3 GB available space[/I]

Okay so not exactly hardware breaking, but in terms of performance would the A6-6400K with the 800Mhz IG be a good purchase. I may want to get a decent FPS game, but that clock speed seems a little slow. I have some parts like a monitor already, so this would just be a new box. Any thoughts?

I'm using the A6-5400k @ 4Ghz and have no problem running games like DayZ, Dota2, And need for speed world on high settigns just remember when using an APU atleast 512mb of your Physical RAM will be used for the IG and with APU's the faster the RAM the better you perform. I have 4gb of RAM at 1866Mhz but since I am still using IG only 3.5gb is usable so I would assume you would run that game no problem.

I'm using the A6-5400k @ 4Ghz and have no problem running games like DayZ, Dota2, And need for speed world on high settigns just remember when using an APU atleast 512mb of your Physical RAM will be used for the IG and with APU's the faster the RAM the better you perform. I have 4gb of RAM at 1866Mhz but since I am still using IG only 3.5gb is usable so I would assume you would run that game no problem.

Cool. I will go for 8Gig minimum though, but maybe 16Gig if I go the separates route. There is a mobo bundle available, but only ships with 4Gig. Rated speed is think is the same as what you have. Not sure about the storage options though. I do have a Seagate Barracuda SATA II drive, but it is only 120 Gbytes. As long as it still works, I am thinking of a modest sized SSD for the gaming. FM flyes on one of those.

Yeah only reason i havent upgraded my RAM yet is because i plan on getting a dedicated graphics card first

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Computer Forums mobile app

Yeah only reason i havent upgraded my RAM yet is because i plan on getting a dedicated graphics card first

Really I think for me that 4Gig would be enough for the intended purpose. Everything will be left at stock, nothing to intensive being done. Hopefully later on in the year, I want to get a PS4.

Really I think for me that 4Gig would be enough for the intended purpose. Everything will be left at stock, nothing to intensive being done. Hopefully later on in the year, I want to get a PS4.

Alot of the games i want to play require atleast 4gb of RAM so yeah lol

Alot of the games i want to play require atleast 4gb of RAM so yeah lol

Really, games are now addressing 4Gig? One of the problems with the FM series has been memory leaks with Rigs that have more than 4Gigs worth. The game is tied to one core and if I remember correctly, the unlocked Intel's benefited with the overclocking of that one core. Not sure why system memory was affected, but maybe because the game like most (As far as I can recollect) cater for 32bit systems.

4gig is enough to run windows and a game, sure.
But 4 gig is considered a low spec in modern computers.
The more memory you have the more memory will programs take In order to run smoother. (to an extend)
If you have less RAM programs will dedicate less to save RAM. (again to an extend)

Last edited:
Really, games are now addressing 4Gig? One of the problems with the FM series has been memory leaks with Rigs that have more than 4Gigs worth. The game is tied to one core and if I remember correctly, the unlocked Intel's benefited with the overclocking of that one core. Not sure why system memory was affected, but maybe because the game like most (As far as I can recollect) cater for 32bit systems.

With a 32bit os weather your using Intel or AMD the max usable memory is 3-3.5gb so even if you have 16gb installed but you're still on a 32bit OS only 3-3.5gb will be usable by the system

ohh, he is using 32 bit. Didn't take that into a count.
I knew about the 32 bit limit. I just rarely see 32bit OS'es anymore.

Back
Top Bottom