Whining

Geness

In Runtime
My computer seem to have this irritating whining noise when stress is put on it for example on start up or when I start opening a crap ton of applications. Is there any thing I could do to reduce it or stop it from doing this or is it normal?

I'm using a ASUS Sabertooth Z87 with a 4770k the noise seems to be coming from the CPU area..

Forgot to mention I'm using a Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100I so no fan there.

Sounds like coil whine. Unless you want to open up the PSU, which I don't recommend, there's really nothing you can do unless you RMA it if its under warranty or you buy a new one.

Sounds like coil whine. Unless you want to open up the PSU, which I don't recommend, there's really nothing you can do unless you RMA it if its under warranty or you buy a new one.

But the sound is nowhere near the PSU at all, why do you think it could be the power supply?:confused:

Usually the whining is from the psu. It's coil whine. Sometimes when a current is applied it causes interference resulting in a whiny noise. It could indicate bad caps too but generally its harmless just annoying. It could also be GPU whine. Where is the sound coming from?

As above^ Also this may sound a little silly, but what does the whine sound like. A high pitch sound or a lower pitch sound. It could be vibration from a component, maybe something slightly unseated. Probably not from a slot, but maybe something has worked loose.

Usually the whining is from the psu. It's coil whine. Sometimes when a current is applied it causes interference resulting in a whiny noise. It could indicate bad caps too but generally its harmless just annoying. It could also be GPU whine. Where is the sound coming from?

I'm 100% sure CPU area, I'm using a Cm trooper case everything is quite spaced out from one another its really easy to pin point everything that has a noise. I'm really hoping its something fixable. Some days its worse than others.

What temps are the PSU, GPU & CPU getting up to when loading a lot of programs?

I'm not sure what the psu is at but gpu goes no higher than 26-29 degrees and the CPU goes up to 38 and jumps back down to 33-34 degrees. Now this isn't high stress aps like games its just poping skype, chrome and media player open all at the same time you get like a high pitch noise that raises then falls to a contstant pitch once everything is open.

As above^ Also this may sound a little silly, but what does the whine sound like. A high pitch sound or a lower pitch sound. It could be vibration from a component, maybe something slightly unseated. Probably not from a slot, but maybe something has worked loose.

Its a low pitch when no tasks are being done. But if like I open something for example skype you get the pitch raising then it will go back to a constant low pitch after the task has been pulled up.

Its not something I can't bare with if I can't fix it but it would be nice to be able to get rid of it, if I have my t.v on or the window open its drowned out but of course from me sitting here and knowing that its there I tend to always hear it regardless.

I'm going to upload the sound in a few... its quite bad today.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom