Connecting Two Monitors

duffster

Beta member
Please advise how I can connect two monitors that have DVI inputs to a laptop with a single HDMI output which will enable me to extend my desktop and view different windows on each. My laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad Z570. Thanks in advance.

Does your laptop have any other video outputs such as VGA?
If so then all you need is 2 adapters:
1. VGA to DVI
2. HDMI to DVI
then just connect you displays with DVI cables using the adapters.

Does your laptop have any other video outputs such as VGA?
If so then all you need is 2 adapters:
1. VGA to DVI
2. HDMI to DVI
then just connect you displays with DVI cables using the adapters.

Thanks for the advice.

Will this method enable me to extend my desktop to view different windows and not merely have one monitor mirror the other?

With some tweaks in the settings it should do. But wouldn't a signal boosting splitter work just the same?? Or would that just mirror as oppose to extending??

Mossiac

Splitter is just mirroring.

And to be honest, I'm not sure that you can do what you want. You can use one external and the laptop screen itself, but I don't think you'll be able to hook up to monitors to the output port and extend the desktop. Simply because the laptop is only able to send one video signal through the output port and therefore, both monitors will end up with the same signal.

Splitter is just mirroring.

And to be honest, I'm not sure that you can do what you want. You can use one external and the laptop screen itself, but I don't think you'll be able to hook up to monitors to the output port and extend the desktop. Simply because the laptop is only able to send one video signal through the output port and therefore, both monitors will end up with the same signal.

This. Outside of laptops hooked up to a docking station I have never seen a laptop that could connect to 2 external monitors at the same time while giving both a different image.

Back
Top Bottom