Computer shut off, didn't turn back on (it did later). hardware failure.

microzee

Baseband Member
So I just bought a 7970 for mining, and everything was fine. The temps seemed to be pretty stable and all was well. Then, It just shut off. The whole system shut down instantly. I figured it was overheated, but temp probes showed temps to be 55 c. I went ahead and waited for everything to cool off. Upon pressing the power button, it would turn on for half a second and instantly shut off. I thought I fried my motherboard. I took the whole thing apart, and checked out different components. Everything seemed fine. I turned it back on and it worked fine.

I don't want this happening again, because next time it might actually fry it. Here are my specs:

msi 890fxa - gd70 mobo
phenom II x4 955 cpu
nvidia 8800 gts crappy gpu
dual - x sapphire hd radeon 7970 gpu
750 watt bronze evga psu

Why do you think this happened?

My guess is that a power surge happened and the power supply shut off. Because when that happened to me the psu wouldn't turn back on (just like in your case, were it goes on for like half a second when you press the button) until it had the power cord removed from the wall (which I hope you did when you disassembled the computer) and plugged back in, then it would work normally.

Could anyone more experienced please confirm/tell me I am horribly wrong?

I wish it was that, but I don't believe it is. I have my computer plugged into a surge protector, and should stop any power surges. Also it happened again to me. If it was just a surge, it probably wouldn't happen again. I would really like to figure out if I'm overloading the motherboard or psu, and if I am, what I should I do about it.

Running a 8800GTS with a Sapphire HD Radeon 7970 gpu is a bottleneck and the 7970 is way better so do away with the 8800GTS..

Running a 8800GTS with a Sapphire HD Radeon 7970 gpu is a bottleneck and the 7970 is way better so do away with the 8800GTS..

That shouldn't shut the computer off though, should it? Anyways, If I didn't say, I use the 7970 only for mining. If I connected the monitors to the 7970, then it would have to mine and power monitors. That would lower my mining power. So thats why I use a crappy gpu for monitors and 7970 only for mining.

Main question: Should I try to start the mining up on the 7970 and hope it doesn't crash my computer again?

Well if you plan on running two GPU's the 8800GTS needs a minimum of 400W and the SAPPHIRE HD 7970 needs 500Wn which means you need a more powerful PSU if you plan on running them together like this one Newegg.com - CORSAIR RM Series RM1000 1000W ATX12V v2.31 and EPS 2.92 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Oh okay, I originally thought that might be the problem, but after looking on manufacturers websites, I thought that they only needed like 100 watts. Ill probably by another PSU, and only use that one to power the cards.

A 750w psu could run two 7970's so I don't think its the power supply. Do you have the graphics cards and cpu overclocked? In that case the psu may not be able to handle the load.

A 750w psu could run two 7970's so I don't think its the power supply. Do you have the graphics cards and cpu overclocked? In that case the psu may not be able to handle the load.

Oh wow, so I guess this isn't solved yet. No, I currently do not have anything over clocked, but I do have the phenom ii x4 955 which is a good processor.

Also as a side note, I downloaded a utility to monitor GPU's and it didn't seem to pick up the MHz from the 7970.

Last edited:
Without overclocking, the psu could handle your system with no trouble. It could handle it heavily oc'ed too to be honest. Download CPUID HWMonitor and tell me what the voltage outputs are. There is a 3.3, 5, and 12v output reading at the top. They should be as close to the numbers as possible. A little over and a little under is fine but anything like 2.9, 4.6, 11.6 etc would be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom