Graphics Card is having trouble!

naeem.ebrahimjee

Solid State Member
Hi Guys.
So my graphics card keeps crashing out. The screen goes black and i need to reboot the computer. When I reboot, i get a message saying that the graphics card has recovered from a serious error.

Now i have two identical PC builds (built myself last year) and the same things happen on both.

Graphics Card: Sapphire HD 7870Ghz OC Edition 2GB GDDR5

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V
Chip: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.5Ghz (Cooled with Corsair H60 Liquid Cooler)
Memory: 16Gb DDR3 1600
PSU: Corsair TXM 850W Semi Modular

I have an inclination that the PSU is just not powerful enough. It doesn't appear to be a software issue. Running Windows 7 64bit.

Before I go out and buy new PSUs I wanted to get your opinions! Is this is a PSU issue?
If so what PSU should be powerful enough to handle this system comfortably?

It is probably an overheating issue, if you can boot into windows can you please check the heat on the card on idle and under load

If 850W isn't enough to power that card then idk what else would be.

Are you sure it's not software? Have you tried pulling out the graphics drivers completely and reinstalling with the latest and greatest?

If it is a PSU issue then I would suggest you go back to basics. Look at the power requirements of all of the components and get a base list. Look at the minimum requirements and build up from there.

Get several cans of cleaning air, a box of Q-tips, and a 1 inch horsehair brush.
Clean anything you can get to. Then one by one pull out and reseat all cards including memory. Pulling them out and reseating them wipes the contacts.
You might have to pop the fan shroud on the vid card to be able to clean the heat sink.

Back
Top Bottom