Random Chit Chat

What about RPG's?

I thought it was funny... :)

Unless you have a special license for various jobs (Special effects coordinator, blast mining, etc) that require them, it's very hard to get your hands on any type of explosive materials. For example, after the Oklahoma City bombing (where the guy allegedly used fertilizer) it's difficult to even purchase large amounts of fertilizer!

Also, RPG's aren't very popular in the states. It's a Russian weapon (later adopted and manufactured by the Chinese as well) that was heavily distributed on the European, Asian, and African continents, but not much elsewhere. Central America (Mexico/Cuba) sees some RPG action, and there do exist RPG's in the states, but very few.

Haha look up, Smart_guy and IPwn answered it already. I don't know of any state that has any kind of waiting period for "long guns" (rifles and shotguns) but the waiting period for handguns varies state by state. Some don't have any like with a rifle, others like my home state of Wisconsin, has a waiting period of 2 days.

Do you think they should make it law to have a mandatory set waiting period eg/ 10, 14 or more days for all weapons in the USA, it has been portrayed overseas that getting weapons in your country is just too easy.

Here in Australia if I was to purchase a weapon then I have to wait for 31 days for approval to be granted, mind you I'm licenced.
One of the reasons they do this is to give time for the authorities to do checks on you to make sure you are purchasing correct weapon for your type of licence.

To get a Licence to own firearms is another bureaucratic nightmare here as they do not hand them out that easy as some would think.

How does your country screen people who are fit to own weapons.

PS: Here in Aust if you have had a criminal conviction your chance to own a firearm is nil.

Last edited:
Do you think they should make it law to have a mandatory set waiting period eg/ 10, 14 or more days for all weapons in the USA, it has been portrayed overseas that getting weapons in your country is just too easy.

I don't think a waiting period is the only answer, but it's not a bad idea either. Other American citizens may contest here, but I do not see the point of having an AK-47 for sale in Walmart. A lot of people say 'home defense' and so on, which they have a valid argument, but only because other people have military weapons. A shotgun should suffice for 'home defense'. Unless you live in a neighborhood like that depicted on 'the purge', there's absolutely no need for an assault rifle.

How does your country screen people who are fit to own weapons.

Do you have a criminal record? .... that's pretty much the extent of it. They are starting to include mental questionnaires, but they take your word for it.

Here in Aust if you have had a criminal conviction your chance to own a firearm is nil.

See above. If you have a criminal record, you can't buy one from a store. That means nothing though. I personally know people that are able to obtain 'untraceable' weapons... (serials filed off, barrels re-bored) and I'm not even a criminal.

So, it really doesn't matter who you are in the United States. If you want a firearm, you can get one fairly quickly.

I'm honestly mixed on that. I think it's very silly/stupid for the higher power (usually) rifles and shotguns to have no waiting period while pistols do is pretty backwards. I don't mind my 2-day waiting period and wouldn't mind it going to like 7 days.

The thing about the waiting period is it's unofficial name is the "cool-off" period. The background checks are instant so even with a 2-day waiting period, the store knows if you can legally buy the gun before you walk out the door.

Do you have a criminal record? .... that's pretty much the extent of it. They are starting to include mental questionnaires, but they take your word for it.

Maybe it's slightly different here, but some non-criminal acts/statuses prevent you from getting a gun as well. You could have a clean record in Wisconsin but have a restraining order against you and be turned down. Also if you had at any point renounced your citizenship good luck.

As iPwn said, there are workarounds by doing private deals (I.E if I were to sell to you) but even if laws would be passed to require checks for those, how could you enforce that? In my part of the state, the problem isn't the criminals getting guns (hear me out before you freak out) it's the criminal who gets caught with a gun that because of previous convictions cannot legally touch a gun that gets a slap on the wrist and back out on the street hours later and buys another gun on the street. The laws that should be throwing them into jail for years isn't really being enforced.

^ celegorm is all about pre-meditated crimes and knows when he'll need a high powered rifle :rofl:

how could you enforce that?

They can't really enforce it at all. However, the seller should be motivated to avoid criminal prosecution by reporting the transfer of ownership...

If that weapon shows up in a murder, they come knocking on the registered owners door.

Last edited:
They can't really enforce it at all. However, the seller should be motivated to avoid criminal prosecution by reporting the transfer of ownership...

If that weapon shows up in a murder, they come knocking on the registered owners door.

Haha well Wisconsin doesn't have a registry at the moment...

The state may not, but you best believe the ATF knows where that firearm has been and should be.

I thought it was funny... :)

Unless you have a special license for various jobs (Special effects coordinator, blast mining, etc) that require them, it's very hard to get your hands on any type of explosive materials. For example, after the Oklahoma City bombing (where the guy allegedly used fertilizer) it's difficult to even purchase large amounts of fertilizer!

Also, RPG's aren't very popular in the states. It's a Russian weapon (later adopted and manufactured by the Chinese as well) that was heavily distributed on the European, Asian, and African continents, but not much elsewhere. Central America (Mexico/Cuba) sees some RPG action, and there do exist RPG's in the states, but very few.

Cool!

Someone once scolded me in private for a comment I made :)

Is RPG and Bazooka the same?

Farmers probably got it hard after that incident :(

Is RPG and Bazooka the same?

Pretty much. RPG stands for Rocket Propelled Grenade, and it is very much that. Before you shoot one, you have to pull the pin on the warhead, just like a regular grenade, or it is inert after firing (this saved my ass once, he either forgot or didn't know to pull the pin).

The U.S.'s 'bazooka' is basically the same thing. The first versions were extremely similar to a modern RPG. Modern 'bazookas', now known as LAWs (Light Anti-Tank Weapon), are still the same shape of warhead (just like RPG), but they changed the warhead to a mix/impact type instead of pulling a pin. Meaning, the warhead spins as it travels, and has to spin so many times for the internal chemicals of the grenade to mix and become explosive. This prevents some idiot 'boot' from shooting the ground in front of them and killing a unit of our own guys. You say that's stupid, but worse things have happened.

Farmers probably got it hard after that incident :(

Ehh, not so much. Farmers weren't really impacted. They said the farmers would have trouble but they never really did. The government just used that incident as "carte blanche" to collect and track financial transaction information. Nobody was REALLY affected by it, except that's pretty much when we started looking at our own neighbors as possible terrorists. Everyone became a possible suspect.

The laws that should be throwing them into jail for years isn't really being enforced.

Thanks to you & iPwn for the answers & comments, I had to laugh at the last quote as that one is easily answered as we have the same problem, governments can't afford the costs of building new gaols (Jails) & running them to accommodate the increase of criminals.... hence why lot of them are fined, suspended sentences, let off etc.

Back
Top Bottom