Accessing an old DOS hard drive....

zbo2

Beta member
I have an old Compaq SLT lap top that doesn't work... the hard drive is still good, the internal clock battery went bad and it's not changeable .... I would like to try to access that hard drive to be able to use an old program that I have on there. The oldest computer that I have is Pentium based and runs windows 98. I have been unsuccessful in trying to "plug" that hard drive in and being able to access it. windows 98 doesn't recognize it. I have a little computer background only because I have been using them since about 85 or so but am not sure how to proceed other than going on eBay and trying to purchase (crap shoot) a working dos computer.... any suggestions?

What kind of program is it? Knowing the programs name would be very helpful. Also what operating systems do you have on your computers? I found an article for windows 7 but will wait until I know what you have in the way of computers. Putting a hard drive into another computer and hoping it will work though is a bad idea as it probably will not work. Getting a hard drive cable though and using the drive externally is better.

Win 98 is a DOS based OS so, if the drive is good and properly installed, Win 98 should recognize it.

I assume the old drive is an IDE drive. Did you set the jumpers on the first drive to indicate it was the Master with Slave? Did you set the jumpers on the 2nd drive to indicate it was a Slave? The connector on the end of the grey data cable should plug into the 1st drive (Master), the connector in the middle of the cable should be plugged into the 2nd drive (Slave). Make sure a power connector is plugged into each drive.

Before the OS has a chance of being able to use a drive, the BIOS needs to recognize it. Does the 2nd drive show up in the BIOS?

Do you hear the 2nd drive spinning? Does it make any seeking noises?

It would be nice to know the model numbers of both drives you have in the system.

Last edited:
Are you sure you cant remove and replace the battery, as I have not yet found (In my personal experience) a laptop that cant have a internal BIOS battery replaced yet, not that I am a pro or anything but every laptop I have taken apart and stripped down has a slot for the battery just like a desktop dose.....Have you taken it apart and looked for it to change the batter?

No, as they use ribbon cables =(
At least the machines I work on do...But there not modern machines.

and even if you could you would not be able to boot from it as its pretty unlikely you can boot from another machines hard-Drive even if you have the same os, has to be from that machine, although its not impossible as I have inserted what I believed to be blank HDDs into a machine and booted into windows....But often this just wont work even if its from a working machine, I think its something to do with drivers or hardware I have no idea tbh.

Best bet is pick up a external hard drive read that can take Laptop HDDs and use it as an external drive and get the files you need off of it.

At least the machines I work on do...But there not modern machines.

If the laptop just needs a new battery its easy to do, just take all the screws out and put them in a cup so you don't loose them and slowly and carefully start dismantling it down to the mother board and then put in a new battery and put it together again, one new working laptop XD

There is likly a guide for this for your laptop on youtube or something...

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

^^ OOPS I thought you were the OP sorry!

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

THIRD EDIT LOL DID NOT SEE LINK.

I dont see any reason why you could not use that and just treat it as a external drive lol, yhea should work, I duno 100% though...

oh and I have only been into computers for a few mounths now anyways ahahah.

It could be that the old drive is using fat 32 file system and your pc"s running on NTFS system.

If your laptop uses ribbon cabled hard drive, this means that your hard disk is IDE, however it is not the same as the IDE used on desktop computers. It is smaller. What you need is a 2.5" IDE enclosure, this should cost approx $(10 -20). You then plug this into another computer you have access to with the old laptop's hard drive inside. You will then have logical (roaming) access to the drive. I have included links you may need.

Amazon.com: StarTech.com 2.5-Inch Silver USB 2.0 to IDE External Hard Drive Enclosure (IDE2510U2): Electronics

(insixt) Dynamode 2.5" IDE Interface Disk Enclosure: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions. Give me a shout here.
MalarkyPCRepairs - YouTube

Back
Top Bottom