hewlett packard

Matt2014

Beta member
Is there anything proprietary about HP desktops as far as internals such as hard drives etc? For some reason I remember someone saying that they are built differently than other desktops. True or was I just dreaming?

HP as well as many other branded computers come with it's own odd internal design.
That sometimes limit the upgrade options. (looking at you DELL)
Here is some examples on branded builds:

This piece of disaster has it's harddrives in a non standard and hard to reach position and 180 degrees rotated ATX motherboard.
It has space issues and and a weird metal plate doing nothing but standing the the way of easy access.
The cable management is also a joke.

small_HP_Inside.jpg

This disappointment is a little cleaner looking. But one thing you don't see on the picture is that it has a metal plate sticking out behind the PSU. That results in you have to use a selected range of DELL PSU's if you want to upgrade. (i have had this model my self)
It also has a non standard motherboard and RAM being blocked by cables so upgrading is a bit of a hassle.

dell-inside1big.jpg

Don't even get me started on this homemade bomb.
1314296423_243379633_1-Pictures-of--Dell-Dimension-4400-With-HP-p1230-21-Flat-Screen-Monitor-Computer-Table.jpg

Now this is how a PC at least should look like.
Easy access to everything and it uses standard ATX. It doesn't waste space on unnecessarily things.
dcase27.jpg

Or if you are an enthusiast that cares about looks, then check this beauty out. No explanation is needed here.
internal.jpg

Last edited:
All name brand manufactures design the inside of their case however they see fit. What about the dell power supplies that are long skinny rectangles instead of standard square ones?

And HP makes some that have a smaller than normal PSU.

In my experience dells are the worst to work on/upgrade they have a bunch of unneeded components in the case that do nothing but block the motherboard from being accessed aswell as having a built in I/O pannel vs a removable one. HPs are usually relatively easy to upgrade imo. But a big issue with OEM cases and computers is the air flow restrictions

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Computer Forums mobile app

LOL I refuurbish these systerms as a volunteer, I know what you are on about, trust me you soon get used to working on those Branded PCs ahaha, yhea its a right pain and haveing worked on so many diffrent ones, there are some pretty insttresting (Read anoying and WTF Why) setups out there....

In my experience dells are the worst to work on/upgrade they have a bunch of unneeded components in the case that do nothing but block the motherboard from being accessed aswell as having a built in I/O pannel vs a removable one. HPs are usually relatively easy to upgrade imo. But a big issue with OEM cases and computers is the air flow restrictions

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Computer Forums mobile app

Have to agree, Also the thing is with Dell's is that with their parts such as their motherboards they make themselves which makes it harder to find suitable upgrades such as CPU or a whole new board replacement. All the other big name brands easy very good.

Back
Top Bottom