pwm fan cable

jarlmaster

In Runtime
I have a 5 year old case and it doesn't have the best ventilation, thus I have had to add rather loud cooling to get the best performance out of it. My room gets hot in the summer as well and I like to keep things cool to preserve my parts for as long as I can before I eventually get a whole new comp. Anyway I have a scythe ultra kaze blowing air on the mobo and vrm specifically which really keeps my system much cooler. It's a 3000 rpm fan that pushes 127 cfm. But its pretty loud. It doesn't bother me but I was curious as to what adding a pwm fan cable would do.

From what I understand, a pwm cable just limits the speed at which the fan runs right? I would like to have the fan run slower and more quietly at lower case temps and ramp up as load increases. But I don't want to buy a fan controller particularly. So what can I do? There isn't fan control through my bios nor through mobo software like fan xpert.

To my understanding a pwm cable will adjust the speed depend on the temperature you set so it will spin faster the hotter it gets.

But I'm not too sure

A 3 pin fan will let the mother board control how fast or slow it goes based on temp readings. All mine plug in to the board and the sensors do all the work.
Just don't plug in a fan that draws more current that the system is rated for on the fan plugs.

Right but my motherboard is older, before fan headers were temp controlled. When I plug the fans in, they run at 100 percent automatically. There is no mobo fan control or software control.

Back
Top Bottom