Help me pick - WIN 7 or 8

Janet H

Administrator
Staff member
I got a new laptop today. It arrived with copies of both Win 7 and Win 8 but only one can be installed/activated. The computer has a touch screen but I'm not huge fan of Win 8 (only have limited experience with it however).

Any advice before I fire it up?

Well id say windows 7 but thats only because i love it so much lpl

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Computer Forums mobile app

I say give Windows 8 a try for a couple of days and see how you like then make your final decision. I myself use Windows 8 and have never looked back..

I would have to say Windows 7. Iv always been a huge fan of Windows 7 and i'm used to it. I don't think i'll ever upgrade to Windows 8 but that's just me. ;)

go with windows 8 and download a shell to make it look like windows 7. you get the blazing fast boot up and general speed of windows 8 (and all its optimizations plus guaranteed direct x 12 support) with the look and feel of windows 7

I agree with jarlmaster and BK.
Go windows 8 and download some software like "iobit start menu".
You get a start menu (which in my opinion is better than the standard win 7 menu) and it can deactivate all hot corners as well.

Last edited:
I agree with jarlmaster and BK.
Go windows 8 and download some software like "iobit start menu".
You get a start menu (which in my opinion is better than the standard win 7 menu) and it can deactivate all hot corners as well.

I've said this once and will say it again, I was one of the Windows 8 haters when it came out, I nabbed a copy and setup a dualboot on my old laptop with Windows 7 already installed and tested for a while and got to like it. It started to cause problems so I removed it and went back to Windows 7, Then a managed to get a decent second laptop with Windows 7 and I got an 8.1 Pro key so I wiped the drive and installed and have been using it for the last 2 months now and absolutely love it. I love the task manager as it is new and redesigned in some ways, Detail resources usage for every program and how much ram, cpu and hard drives are being used and other details.

Also if you are looking for someone tips, tricks and tweaks Let me google that for you

lICQGi1.jpg

tOKxJoZ.jpg

Its all up to preference you have to try them both and see what you like.
i have windows 7 on my desktop and 8.1 on my laptop, in my opinion windows 7 is better.

i had a windows phone before i had 8.1 so it just seem too much like a phone to me.

Given one or the other, I'd go with windows 8 now. Going into it with an open mind (originally didn't like the little bit I had used) I've found it much quicker to get around and the boot time is very fast. I don't have any issues with compatibility in terms of software either.

I think before we let opinions get in the way, what do you want to use the computer for? Any old (4+ years) software or hardware like printers we need to consider here?

Back
Top Bottom