Laptop Won't Play CDs

N22

Beta member
Hi. I have a Packard Bell Easy One Siler that is possibly 10 or 11 years old that I need to keep running for just another couple of months for reasons too boring to share. Anyway, it wasn't used for a few years until last June when my the motherboard on my PC died. Since I started using it again, intermitently it won't play or open CDs. The Drive still shows up in 'My Computer' and I've reset the auto-play feature, but still nothing. I've also tried inserting a CD I know I've used in it before. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd really like to transfer some CDs to my iPhone. Thanks in advance.

I agree most of the time all you need is a disc cleaning disc. Sometimes though especially with an older laptop like yours things are so worn the drive needs to be replaced.

There are cables though that you can buy for hard drives that should also work for the optical drive in your old desktop provided you still have it and the optical drive didn't die too. They work off of USB and I believe they have a power cable that goes to it. I have seen them on Amazon.com, Tigerdirect.com and Newegg.com.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom