Red dots on new monitor

yuriynyr1

Solid State Member
Hi, I just purchased a new widescreen monitor and am getting 3 tiny red dots on the screen. The dots are visible on a white background as red, and on a green background appear black, or dark.

I am thinking it is a cable problem but I am not 100% sure. The monitor can only be connected with a VGA cable and since my video card (XFX Radeon HD 7800) can only be connected with a DVI cable, I had to use a VGA to DVI adapter.

I used the VGA cable that came with the monitor, and the adapter I luckily had laying around from an old Nvidia card.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
is there another PC you can test the monitor on? It sounds like it could be dead pixels but to be sure I would test it on another PC also it'd be worth a try to try different cable and adapter as well.

Swapped the cable, as well as the adapter and the dots still appear in the same locations. Also tried it on a different computer thinking that maybe it was the video card and same problem.

Is this fixable?

Or should replace the monitor... if I return it, I will exchange it with a DVI monitor.

Last edited:
Sounda like dead pixels see if you can get a refund or at the very least a replacement

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Computer Forums mobile app

Not at all. DVI and HDMI are both digital, so the quality is the same.
One of the major differences is that HDMI can also transfer sound.

other then that there is some performance differences. No HDMI cable can transfer 120hz. only Display port and DVI can do that.

Back
Top Bottom