New build overheating and memory slots not working

SeanKennedy

Beta member
Hi all
I have a problem with a computer I am building. I used to build computers for me and my friends about 15 years ago and thought I would give it ago again but I have run in to some problems and hope someone can point me in the right direction.
I am trying to put together (List Follows)
Asus Z87-Pro motherboard
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866MHz Vengeance Pro Memory
Intel i7 4770k Processer
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 graphics card
Be Quiet Pure Power L8 730W PSU
I first noticed a problem when installing the memory as in the manual it states to insert the memory in slots A2 and B2 I did this and the board would not boot up, the read out on the bottom of the board was reading 55. I read up on this and it is a memory problem. I took the memory out several times and put it back in the same slot but still it read 55. So after a lot of swapping of the memory into different slots I found out that they will only work in slots B1 and B2. If I put one in slot A1 and switch it on, it tries to boot then shuts down constantly. I have managed to update the bios to see if that would help but it has not.
The second problem I have is the CPU fan it starts fast and then goes very slow in the bios I set it to be at 100% all the time but it seems to run at around 20% and will not go any faster. The CPU temp reads between 75-92c. I have tried two different fans, the stock fan that came with the CPU and a Corsair H100i both do the same thing and give the same reading.
Reading about this in the internet I found the best way of trying to tell what was happening was to setup the computer out of the case so that's what I did and still I had the same two problems. So I thought it was a motherboard problem, contacted Asus and they told me to return the board to Ebuyer where I ordered the board from which I did.
I hear now that they have tested the board and they say there I nothing wrong with it and they are sending it back to me.
Could anyone on here help me out diagnosing what is wrong with this computer I am building? Is it the memory, CPU, PSU, something in the bios I haven't switched on/off or is in fact the motherboard itself?
Thanks in advance for any help you could put my way.

Thanks again Sean Kennedy

Hi all
I have a problem with a computer I am building. I used to build computers for me and my friends about 15 years ago and thought I would give it ago again but I have run in to some problems and hope someone can point me in the right direction.
I am trying to put together (List Follows)
Asus Z87-Pro motherboard
Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866MHz Vengeance Pro Memory
Intel i7 4770k Processer
EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 graphics card
Be Quiet Pure Power L8 730W PSU
I first noticed a problem when installing the memory as in the manual it states to insert the memory in slots A2 and B2 I did this and the board would not boot up, the read out on the bottom of the board was reading 55. I read up on this and it is a memory problem. I took the memory out several times and put it back in the same slot but still it read 55. So after a lot of swapping of the memory into different slots I found out that they will only work in slots B1 and B2. If I put one in slot A1 and switch it on, it tries to boot then shuts down constantly. I have managed to update the bios to see if that would help but it has not.
The second problem I have is the CPU fan it starts fast and then goes very slow in the bios I set it to be at 100% all the time but it seems to run at around 20% and will not go any faster. The CPU temp reads between 75-92c. I have tried two different fans, the stock fan that came with the CPU and a Corsair H100i both do the same thing and give the same reading.
Reading about this in the internet I found the best way of trying to tell what was happening was to setup the computer out of the case so that's what I did and still I had the same two problems. So I thought it was a motherboard problem, contacted Asus and they told me to return the board to Ebuyer where I ordered the board from which I did.
I hear now that they have tested the board and they say there I nothing wrong with it and they are sending it back to me.
Could anyone on here help me out diagnosing what is wrong with this computer I am building? Is it the memory, CPU, PSU, something in the bios I haven't switched on/off or is in fact the motherboard itself?
Thanks in advance for any help you could put my way.

Thanks again Sean Kennedy

Process of elimination, do you have any working memory modules lying around you can try?

Thanks for replying
I have a computer with ddr2 memory in it will that work (Sorry for not knowing this computers have moved on a lot since I last build one) :)

Thanks Sean

Thanks for replying
I have a computer with ddr2 memory in it will that work (Sorry for not knowing this computers have moved on a lot since I last build one) :)

Thanks Sean

If I'm not mistaken, the mobo you listed will only run DDR3, I may be wrong though if anyone wants to chime in.

Back
Top Bottom